Whistle Pigs!! HELP!!!

Started by recoil junky, June 28, 2015, 03:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

I'm being over run!!!

I was gazing out the kitchen window this morning and spied a doe watching something in the tall grass by the red shed. I soon figured out what it was and now he's dead.

And his big brother too!

I actually got three, but one was "too gory" to show.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

apeters24

Nice, RJ!

Good to see you're taking care of business!!

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

that's a nice one, do you eat' groundhog................Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

recoil junky

Not on purpose . . . . . I've eaten them in the annual "Rode Kill Cook-off" in Ennis MT, but I didn't find them all the "tasty". I guess if I was real hungry . . . . . . . . .

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

buckshot roberts

:food04: it's how you cook'm.......Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

It's also how they're shot. Considering the cartridges used, it has pretty much gotta be head-shots. Anything else, and untasty parts are blown into the tasty parts. At least that has been my experience with Arctic ground squirrels (Spermophilus parryii) that are just ever-so-slightly smaller than prairie dogs. Adult Arctic ground squirrels are about 2.5 lb. Up here, the 'whistle pigs' are hoary marmots (Marmota caligata) and considerably smaller than the  eastern ground hogs (Marmota monax). The hoarys are about half-again as big as prairie dogs.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

That biggun'? I'd guessed his weight at 15 pounds. My arm got tired totin' him out yonder so's the "birds" could eat him.

Artic ground squirrels . . . .hmmmmmm . . . . they look a lot like Columbian ground squirrels

http://fieldguide.mt.gov/speciesDetail.aspx?elcode=AMAFB05070

RJ

I know I miss-spelt artic but I didn't mis-spelt columbian

farmboy

Good shooting! I have never stot one of those there is the odd one around but I have never got one. To get the gran slam of varmints around here I need to get a racoon and a marmot!

Tags: