Vintage Pearson Deerslayer in need of repair!

Started by CoastToCoast, September 17, 2009, 08:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoastToCoast

Hi all. I'm new to archery and just bought my first bow. I got a Vintage (circa 1960s) Ben Pearson Deerslayer from ebay for a pretty decent price. It's a 66" hickory recurve, 50-lb. draw at 28 inches. Overall in pretty nice shape, with no lim twist, no stress fractures, hardly even a scratch on the thing. The design is pretty simple, practically a self-bow, with just a small piece of hickory fixed on the belly to make up the riser.

But...herein lies the problem: when strung, there ends up being about 1/16th" separation between the back of the bow and the smaller piece of the riser.:stare: The only thing holding the riser on the bow is the laquer at the ends where it hasn't completely separated yet, and the leather wrapping of the grip.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Basically I'm wondering how easy/economical it would be to get this fixed. I'm just hoping that the bow isn't a complete loss...like I said, I just got it and would REALLY like to shoot it soon. Of course, I'm not planning on doing that (or even stringing the bow again) unless/until I can get it fixed. Anybody's input here will be greatly appreciate. Thanks all!

- Jon

gitano

I'd like to help John, but I can't. I think the best thing might be a search for an archery forum and ask who there does bow repair. You also might check 24hr Campfire. There are plenty of 'experts' there. I'm sure someone will be more than happy to tell you what to do with that bow.

Good luck.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

CoastToCoast

Thanks for the reply Paul. I've been going out of my mind trying to find anyone that would repair the bow, even contacted Pearson to see if they'd be willing to re-laminate it for me, with not luck.

On a brighter note, I decided to take matters into my own hands, and things have turned out so-far-so-good. I ended up taking the leather-wrap grip off to get a better look at the problem, and in the process ended up with the bow in it's four respective components. So, I went out and got myself some nice thick leather and a waterproof, high-strength two-part epoxy, and after much epoxying/clamping/leather-wrapping over the weekend, ended up with a good-as-new bow! :biggthumpup: I've been shooting every day over the past few days (probably 60+ shots off so far), and haven't heard so much as a single creak out of the bow. It seems (knock on wood!) solid as a rock.

So, for all of you that have an older model hardwood-laminate recurve, I guess the moral here is don't be afraid to get your hands dirty!

gitano

Glad to hear things have worked out well.

QuoteI guess the moral here is don't be afraid to get your hands dirty!
We're singin' the same tune there, I assure you.

And welcome to THL.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

bowhunter 51

I agree w/Paul...I was sceptical to repair...
You got it done...Excellent!:biggthumpup: .............BH51...
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Tags: