Military Cartridge Series - 7.7 Arisaka

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), January 14, 2007, 12:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

My sentiments exactly Jay. I've seen better looking plowshares. That is why I never owned one that I recollect.  ...........Paul H

sakorick

Quote from: Jay Edward;67744 Just on looks alone I hope this is correct... as this would be my first selection for 'beating into ploughshares'.

Jay and Paul....You guys have nearly 5000 posts on this forum and I have relished for the most part your wisdom and grace. Having said that, both of you are so far wrong on the Type 99 it isn't even funny......plowshares?????? Give me a physical break. Have you looked at my postal shoot group? Have you ever owned or fired one? Have you looked at the innovative features ot the Type 99 such as the AA sights?

I find your posts disturbing. Please PM me if you care to know why. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;67742I don't know how true that is, but what is true is that the Japanese are considered among the world's best sword makers - primarily due to their almost magic abilities in tempering steel.

Paul

Exactly. And that process was used on their improved Mausers.....the type 99. Thank-you Gitano. Regards, Rick.

Jay Edward (deceased)

It's not necessary to exchange PMs 'rick.    My statement qualifier was: " Just on looks alone ".

Have I ever owned or fired one?... gunsmith remember?  I've customized, owned, sold & traded so many rifles (modern & milsurp) that I cannot honestly remember them all.  There was a time when we really burned for the annual gunshow to come around... and it was rare to see a modern firearm on the tables.  We lived for the milsurps as platforms for custom rifles.

I'm simply a member here and, like you, I'm entitled to my opinion on what's good looking and what is ugly.  My studies of the wars up until Vietnam with regard to small arms leaves me feeling there is a tie between Japan and France for plain ugly looking firearms.

As far as strength is concerned... I agree with Ackley with regard to the Arasaka and its strength.  With regard to the bolt action rifles of Japan and their utility... I believe that the Japanese were moving (their version) of heaven and earth to put a semi-auto into the hands of their troops.  I've seen a copy of the Garand as produced by Japan.

I imagine there are many items I find good looking that you do not... and you are certainly entitled to your opinion as I am.  Please do not get upset because we fail to agree with you.

sakorick

Quote from: Jay Edward;67761It's not necessary to exchange PMs 'rick. My statement qualifier was: " Just on looks alone ".

Have I ever owned or fired one?... gunsmith remember? I've customized, owned, sold & traded so many rifles (modern & milsurp) that I cannot honestly remember them all. There was a time when we really burned for the annual gunshow to come around... and it was rare to see a modern firearm on the tables. We lived for the milsurps as platforms for custom rifles.

I'm simply a member here and, like you, I'm entitled to my opinion on what's good looking and what is ugly. My studies of the wars up until Vietnam with regard to small arms leaves me feeling there is a tie between Japan and France for plain ugly looking firearms.

As far as strength is concerned... I agree with Ackley with regard to the Arasaka and its strength. With regard to the bolt action rifles of Japan and their utility... I believe that the Japanese were moving (their version) of heaven and earth to put a semi-auto into the hands of their troops. I've seen a copy of the Garand as produced by Japan.

I imagine there are many items I find good looking that you do not... and you are certainly entitled to your opinion as I am. Please do not get upset because we fail to agree with you.

Fair enough.....The Japanese didn't have any Walnut so they made do with what they had. The term "Ploughshare" burned me up I'll admit. I own a remarkable piece of history, an Arisaka by they way, that has outshot all my SMLE's, 03A3, both Swedes, 03, Garands, Steyr M39, M98 Mauser, Finn Mosen, and OBTW......I think it looks and feels just fine. Ploughshare indeed:Banghead: . And yes, it's ballistics mirror the .308. Call it what you want, however, I have never called any of your rifles plowshares and I never will. Regards, Rick.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: sakorick;67764I have never called any of your rifles plowshares and I never will. Regards, Rick.

Don't be so quick on the draw Rick.  You haven't seen all my rifles and handguns.  I built one out of a piece of barrel and parts from a hardware store... remember?  It might qualify as a ploughshare.:undecided:

Currently I am considering building one more cartridge rifle in a military cartridge.  I've been thinking about using a Sako action.  (You don't have any strong feelings about that action, do you?:grin:)  The last Sako I built was on the L-61 action and it was chambered in .308 Norma Mag.  Unfortunately, I let a fella talk me out of it.  (I was holding out firmly but he finally got out his wallet and started showing pictures of his wife and little children.)  Actually, he was headed for Alaska and said it was all he ever wanted.  He promised me he would never sell it and when I saw him a few years later on a visit to Montana... he still had it and refused to sell it back to me.  Man, was that a good looking rifle!

I stocked it in AA Classic, put a simulated leather buttpad on and topped it off with a Leupold 3x9 in Sako rings.  It had 6 or 7 hand rubbed coats of tung oil and a really deep blue.

The rifle shot less than an inch at 100 yards and took out a very fine Mule Deer for me.  I wonder where it is now?

sakorick

Well Jay, you are going to need deep pockets to pony up for a Sako action:Banghead: ......they run about as much as the whole rifle. I have been searching for years with zero results. Good luck, Rick.

Tags: