Savage 93r17bvss

Started by farmboy, March 13, 2016, 05:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy

My Henry got sent back to them so ground squirrel season is on. Considering that I have my stock pile of ammo for a 17 hmr I thought I would look for a cheap hmr chambered rifle to use till the other oneade it back. So it just happened that a fellow had been in to the local gun store and traded his savage off because he did not want to pay for ammo at the current prices. 22 dollars a box here. Most 22 LR ammo is at seven plus here this year. So the price was right on the rifle a few marks on the metal. Stock is perfect. Any ideas on removing marks on stainless? First stainless rifle I have owned. It has a cheapy scope mounted it is a three to nine scorpion. I took the rifle out yesterday and shot at a few gophers and roughly adjusted the scope in the field.windage was 3/4 of a turn right and elevation was a 1/4 turn up. I shot a dozen gophers after that so kind a fun hour yesterday afternoon. So I have to shoot it at paper and get it sighted in a bit better but it was shooting minute of gopher yesterday. I will post pictures of the gun and targets shortly. The wind is howling this morning so unless it calms down no shooting for groups today. One thing I noticed about using the scorpion scope was when the sun was above me seemed to to bad. My head has to be placed about perfect to see the full circle through the scope. When I went back as the sun was getting lower in the sky the aborations on the edges got terrible a third on the edge was about bad enough that nothing could be made out in that area of the sight picture.The field of view is small in comparison to either the Leopold or the vortex rimfire scopes I have. That being said this one was good enough when the sun was over head but almost useless when the sun was low in the sky. The rifle seems to be alright not sure if it will shoot as well as the Henry. The Henry was one of the few rifles I have owned that was special as far as accurate shooting goes hard to believe that a lever gun could be but it was. I am hoping they fix my Henry not replace it I can not see another one being as accurate. The savage points fairly well and seems balanced quite good to. I want to take the stock off of it and adjust the trigger see if it can be smoothed out at bit as well. The trigger seams a bit heavy with a lot of over travel but no take up. It will be interesting to see if the gun holds its point of impact. After it need such a large adjustment of the scope I wonder if that is the true reason it was traded. I guess the first look at the bedding is where to start looking. I will do a follow up.

farmboy

I have shot around a hundred ground squirrels with it so far. I adjusted the trigger pull by backing the spring off and also I filed some off of the top of the trigger so the spring was not under as much tension. I have a nice light pull that is safe. One thing I noticed was the gophers seems to get more torn up with this gun over the Henry. I tried to find out if the twist rates are different. Even at over a hundred yards they get more torn up. So I am thinking even if it produced more muzzle velocity it should not show any difference out att that distance. So how they are getting chewed up more.

gitano

More muzzle velocity would make a difference because more energy is being delivered farther out.

Sure would like to visit and shoot some of those gophers!

If you get a chance, would you please post a picture of the new rifle. I had the earliest model Savage in .17 HMR. I'd like to know if what you have is the same model.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Actually, on reconsideration, it was NOT a Savage that I had, but a Marlin. I'd still like to see a picture of your rifle.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

farmboy

A marlin I wanted more but I was just looking for something cheap that I could resell after the Henry gets back.

gitano

I sold my Marlin. One of the VERY few firearms I have ever sold in my life. Yours seems to be 'working' very well!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Five for five today. Did not spend much time out there.

gitano

Do you have an ETA for the return of the levergun?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

The only other one the gun store sent back took a year but that was while Henry factory was damaged. But I don't expect American style service! It will be awhile.

gitano

I can see why you bought another firearm!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

I got a dozen more today had four missed shots though.

recoil junky

Nice pick up attachment for the combine.

Oh, nice find on the Savage. Sounds like it's a keeper!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

farmboy

For here it was cheap around half price for the gun scope and rings.

farmboy

Quote from: recoil junky;143764Nice pick up attachment for the combine.

Oh, nice find on the Savage. Sounds like it's a keeper!

RJ

I am surprised you know what a pickup head is I thought that was Canadian and the border states only that swath. Cool!

Tags: