Blackpowder 104 - Finis

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), April 24, 2008, 05:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Konstantin Anklitzen, alias Berthold Schwarz

Born Konstantin Anklitzen he was given the name Berthold when he joined the Franciscan fraternity in Freiburg, Germany, in the first half of the 14th century. In Latin he is referred to as "nigromanticus" which means black artist. From this title he got his present name "Schwarz" which means black. This much about him we can take for granted. There are no personal records available about him.

Beginning in the 15th century, Berthold Schwarz is often referred to as the inventor of guns. That may well be. The first recorded deployment of a cannon was in the defense of Meersburg, a town near Freiburg, by bishop Nikolaus I in 1334. Berthold Schwarz might have witnessed it. Meersburg was the seat of the Bishops of Konstanz and Freiburg, the home region of Berthold Schwarz.

There might be some truth to this story, although he certainly can't be considered the inventor of black powder. He was born at least 100 years too late to be the inventor. In Germanic countries many believe black powder (Schwarzpulver) is named for its inventor Schwarz. That's like believing the frying-pan was invented by Mr. Fry.
By the way, the term "black powder" was used only after 1890. That was to distinguish it from "white powder" as gunpowder from nitro-cellulose was first called. The oldest source mentioning Berthold Schwarz is the "Feuerwerkbuch", written in Allemannic (my native language) in about 1420.  

The oldest known picture of a gun was published in a manuscript (1326) by Walter de Millete, titled "De Officilis Regnum" (The Duties of a King), stored in an Oxford library. Millete dedicated this educational book to young King Edward III.
The following picture shows a vase shaped cannon, about to fire an arrow projectile. Note, it is ignited by a slow match, fastened to the end of a cane.

Literature:

1. J.G. Hawthorne & C. St. Smith (1963) : "On Divers Arts"
   2. Marcus Graecus: "Liber Ignum per Comburandum Hostes" (The Vienna copy, available as micro photographs)
   3. Das Feuerwerkerbuch (1420) Worlds first treatise about warfare with firearms. Written in Allemannish German, my Swiss mother-tongue. The Fireworkbook (a translation into English is pendent)
   4. Georg Agricola: "De re metallica" (1556) (Of Minig and Smelting)
   5. Hans Jakob Christoffel von Grimmelshausen: "Simplicissimus" (1668). Among others about the making of priming powder and slow-matches
   6. Yule and Cordier: "The Book of Sir Marco Polo" (1903/1921).
   7. S.J. von Romocki "The History of Explosives" (1896/2004)
   8. John Maxon Stillman: "The story of Early Chemistry" (1924)
   9. Mukhtar Rasa'il Jabir ign Hayyan, edited and published by P. Kraus, Cairo (1935)
  10. St. C. Easton: "Roger Bacon and his Search for a Universal Science", Oxford (1962)
  11. J.R. Partington: "Greek Fire and Gunpowder" (1960)

LvrLover

Hey Jay, did you get this from the web or a book? I stumbled across Ulrich Bretscher's web page during one of my "surfing" sessions a while back, and there is even more stuff there. I have yet to try making my own yet, but I may have to because the nearest place that stocks it is 90 miles away.:Banghead: I talked to a few guys in town that manufacture cannons ( http://www.pbocorp.biz/ :eek: ) and they buy it in bulk, but the granulation is too big for my rifle and pistol. It would be an interesting project for me and my cub scout son to try to do. Anyway, here is the link to his sight if you haven't been there. http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/history.html
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Jay Edward (deceased)

I got it from that URL LL.  Putting it up in parts makes it easier to digest for some.

What are using the blackpowder in?  Sometimes a fella can be on the lookout for a rendezvous that is not too far away and run by to stock up.

LvrLover

I use 3F in my 54 cal traditional side lock and my 1858 Remington. I know most people use 2F in larger rifles, but it works fine and keeps things simple with only one powder. I can order it on line but would have to buy quite a large quantity to pay for the hazardous shipping charge and I don't go through more than 2 or 3 lbs a year. All because its classified as an explosive. I suppose I could break down and use a substitute, but none I have tried have been reliable enough. Besides they just don't have the right look and smell. For me that is a very important part of the muzzle loading experience. I know many people use the subs and love them, but I guess I have a soft spot for traditional things.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Tags: