The 1903 Remington

Started by sakorick, April 02, 2010, 12:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

If you are a American and don't have an 03 in your collection I would suggest you get started soon! The 03 that I am most familiar with is the Remington so it will be the object of this thread.

World War II saw new production of the Springfield at private manufacturers Remington Arms and Smith-Corona Typewriter. Remington began production of the M1903 in September 1941, at serial number 3,000,000, using old tooling from the Rock Island Arsenal which had been in storage since 1919. The very early rifles are almost indistinguishable from 1919-made Rock Island rifles. The first 35,000 or so made between Oct 41 and Feb 42 were made to "old contract" standards to wit: Grasping Groove stock with boxed RLB. Roy L Bowlin was the chief inspector at Remington from 1941 to 1942. All parts were milled and marked with the letter R including the bolt and all parts, striker, firing pin, shroud, cutoff, safety, follower, floorplate, triggerguard, rear sling swivel, butt plate and cubby door, both bands, nose cap, front sight, rear sight and all associated parts.

Of course in December, The Japanese changed the plan so to speak. Major changes to the Remington and Smith Corona contract were approved in Janurary and all the milled parts became stamped and a plain faster to make stock with no finger grooves was approved. The number of original Remingtons was about 35,000 and of those, precious few are intact......and I found one! Of course it took me 5 years to track down, beg, trade and hundreds of phone calls to finally acquire all the small R marked parts. It sure was fun and I met some very knowledgeable people along the way.

At any rate, here is Remington 03 number 4295. If you have any questions just fire away and I'll do my best to answer them./SIZE]

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

Rick, I didn't think you'd let a Remington into your house  :greentongue:

I thought I was going to get me one of them someday and I really want to, to go with the 1917 Remington Enfield I have. (It's the 30-06AI)

Good article. Thanks.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

Quote from: recoil junky;105401Rick, I didn't think you'd let a Remington into your house  :greentongue:

I thought I was going to get me one of them someday and I really want to, to go with the 1917 Remington Enfield I have. (It's the 30-06AI)

Good article. Thanks.

RJ

Hello RJ. You might be surprised what lurks within my domain! :eek: I see the name Remington on about seven of my rifles. At some point in time, we'll discuss the "Nylons" on the Collector's Corner.:biggthumpup: Regards, Rick.

recoil junky

Oh goody!!! I have me one o' them!!:biggthumpup: Plus a couple of the 500 series.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

Quote from: recoil junky;105411Oh goody!!! I have me one o' them!!:biggthumpup: Plus a couple of the 500 series.

RJ
Well then....start a thread with pics! Lets get the Nylon Remingtons rolling! After all they were the first plastic stocked rifles made and some 53 years ago! Regards, Rick.

Tags: