45-70 or 50-70 ?

Started by agent00, February 08, 2008, 12:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent00

Hi, it's me again, with a new question.  Finally I have saved enough money to buy an sharp or remington rolling block rifle.:)   I will use my rifle primerly for target/fun  shooting. I would be also intersted to hunt deer with my bp gun  if it ist not prohibited here in austria. Which of the above mentioned calibers would be the best choice for target fun shooting ?   Or would you recomend a different caliber?

Thanks for your answers in advance.:hat:

dave3872

Quote from: agent00;73730Hi, it's me again, with a new question. Finally I have saved enough money to buy an sharp or remington rolling block rifle.:) I will use my rifle primerly for target/fun shooting. I would be also intersted to hunt deer with my bp gun if it ist not prohibited here in austria. Which of the above mentioned calibers would be the best choice for target fun shooting ? Or would you recomend a different caliber?

Thanks for your answers in advance.:hat:
I own and shoot 2 Rem. RBS and Two Sharps replicas.  Calibers are 43 Spanish,45-70, and 45-120.  If you reload it really doesn't matter which calliber pick (don't think about a 45-120).  I have had nothing but trouble with in a Shiloh Sharps. (currently that rifle is in Montana being rebarreled to 50-90).  If you are recoil shy I would choose the 45-70.  There are several weights of bullets from 300g. up to 500+g. I get excellent accuracy with both smokeless and black powder loads. A 45-70 will knock down any game that lives in europe or north america.

agent00

Thx for your answers.     This  sharp or remington rolling block will be my first bp rifle and i have now experience with bp guns, but I    have shot very often with an remington model 700 in 30-06 springfield and  I can handle the recoil. I think I will start with an rilfe 45-70 and next year I will buy ananother gun  in 45-90 or 50-90..

ps: which bp load in 45-70 would you recomend for plinking and for deer?

dave3872

Quote from: agent00;73792Thx for your answers. This sharp or remington rolling block will be my first bp rifle and i have now experience with bp guns, but I have shot very often with an remington model 700 in 30-06 springfield and I can handle the recoil. I think I will start with an rilfe 45-70 and next year I will buy ananother gun in 45-90 or 50-90..

ps: which bp load in 45-70 would you recomend for plinking and for deer?
I think you will find that a 45-70 with the heavier bullets will recoil more than a 30-06.  Also, you probably will not have a recoil pad on your bp rifle.  For hunting deer sized game I would recommend using the lighter bullets.  Less recoil and plenty of power.  If you are going to use black powder I recommend getting "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West" by Mike Venturino. Loading black powder is very different from loading smokeless.

agent00

Ok thx again for your answer. I will try to get the book you have mentioned.  And I will report when I have got my new rifle.

Tags: