Alright Then... The .416 Rigby

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), April 17, 2008, 06:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

This cartridge captured my imagination the first time I read about it.

So much so that I went into hock (on my signature) to get one.  I still think of it as a great all-around cartridge for the world.

Harry Selby:
www.biggame-africa.com/articles/harry-selby.asp

Here is a picture of Harry Selby with the following caption:

Harry sighting-in his trusty .419 Rigby rifle, which he                     used from 1949 until he retired it in the early 1990s. Introduced in                     1911 the .416 Rigby/Mauser combination made a magazine rifle a viable option for dangerous game hunting.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Here's a little more info on the cartridge:

Daryl (deceased)

Looks like a dandy little cartridge for shooting prairie dogs and gophers in the garden.

In a pinch, it's probably due fine for rabbits too.

So, what do they use for really BIG game in Africa?

:)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: Daryl;77541So, what do they use for really BIG game in Africa?

The 600 Nitro pal.  It has the added advantage of being able to kill on both ends.

The following is from the Norma website:

Warning!
Reloading metallic center fire cartridges can be dangerous!

Careless or incorrect hand loading procedures can result in serious personal injury. Hand loading should only be done after thorough and complete instruction. Since individual hand loading procedures, operations and safety practices are beyond our control, we disclaim all liability for any damages which may result.

Reloading any cartridge requires a familiarity with safe, conservative reloading practices. When combined with personal discipline and attention to detail, such practices can help create a margin of safety for both the reloader and the shooter.

1. Never begin loading with the maximum powder charge shown in these reloading data tables, regardless of your experience.

2. Never exceed maximum loads because excessive chamber pressure will result.

3. Discontinue firing at the first sign of excessive pressure or upon noticing a change in the report of the firearm.

Lot-to-lot variations, design changes, or specification changes that are beyond our control may occur components mentioned in this book. To safely use this or any other guide or manual, you must keep yourself well informed on the technical progress of reloading. It is our belief that the information offered will result in safe operation if the proper equipment and components are employed in a reasonable manner. Because Norma Precision AB has no control over the actual components selected, the manner in which the components are‑assembled, or the condition or quality of firearms used, no responsibility, either expressed or implied is assumed for the use of this guide or for any other Norma product. In no event shall Norma Precision AB be liable for any damages resulting from the use of this book, whether in contract, tort or otherwise, including consequential damages

Here is the chart referred to:

Brithunter

Hi All,

Ahhh about fifteen years or so ago Rigby's introduced the .416's big brother the .450 Rigby :biggthumpup: yep it's the 416 necked up to take .458" bullets. I ahve considered having my .458 Win Mag P-H 1100M altered to this Rigby case but have not had the funds to do much more.

Now for really big game jay you forgot Hollands Biggest cartridge the 700 NE  :greentongue:.
Go Get them Floyd!

fghi741

dump up to a metre (40 inches) of rain in places was on course to hit Taiwan island on Monday morning, prompting business and market closures.Typhoon Fung-Wong, Chinese for phoenix, was moving northwest at 13 kph, set to make landfall late Monday morning near the city of Hualien, Taiwan's EVE ISKCentral Weather Bureau said on its website (http://www.cwb.gov.tw).the storm's approach generated rough sea warnings as markets, offices and schools across the island shut for the day.Tourists are evacuated from a coastal resort in Fuzhou, capital of East China's Fujian Province, July 27, 2008. The intensifying Typhoon Fung Wong age of Conan goldwas forecast to land in Fujian on Monday evening or Tuesday morning. [Xinhua] Transport was disrupted on the island with most domestic flights and rail service suspended, although media reported that international flights were still operating at Taiwan's main international airport at Taoyuan.Heavy rains began to fall in the early hours of twelve sky goldMonday morning and were expected to continue throughout the day, with some of the hardest hit areas expected to receive up to 1,000 mm of rain, according to forecasts.Tropical Storm Risk (http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com) said Fung-Wong was a category 2 storm, and would likely be downgraded to a category 1 storm over the next 24 hours as it crossed Taiwan and headed toward Fujian province. A category 2 storm is defined as having maximum sustained winds of 154-177 kph.From Taiwan, the storm is expected to crosssilkroad online gold over the Taiwan Strait and arrive in East China's Fujian Province on Monday night or Tuesday morning.In Fujian, authorities evacuated over 270,000 people ahead of the storm's arrival.Experts say Fung-Wong might become the mostmaple story gold powerful storm to hit East Asia this year, with heavy rain expected to fall over a long period.Fung-Wong is the second typhoon to hit Taiwan in the last two weeks. On July 18, typhoon Kalmaegi killed at least 20 people and caused extensive flooding, landslides and crop damage in the south and central part of the island.

shinz

I built a 416 Rigby on a Brno ZKK 602 some years ago, before all the big game cartridges staged their comeback. Brass was 378 Wby necked up & resized after the belt was turned off, I had original Barnes soft pints in 350 & 400 gr & some Hornady FMJs that they had done as a special run for Huntingtons. The rifle was originally a 375H&H but had a pitted barrel both internally & externally behind the foresight, I could picture a sweaty hand carrying it in the Africa shoulder carry, held behind the muzzle. A rebore to 416 took care of the internal pitting. I had the barrel shortened to 23" & then returned to the original muzzle diameter from in front of the rear sight boss. This removed the external pitting & allowed the original foresight to be refitted. A reamer from Clymer & some custom dies from Peter Davern in Australia & I was in business. Bead blasted & blued it looked fabulous & shot well. A Pachmyer decelerator recoil pad later on tamed the recoil a bit. 98grs of IMR4831 behind the 400 gr Barnes gave it factory ballistics. Toward the end of my time with it I got Norma cases for it. It needed very little alteration to make it feed well. Am I sorry I sold it, yes & no, I needed the money, he needed the rifle. I'd been there done that. Theres a 416 Taylor waiting to be built now, I've sort of got over huge cases in big actions, I'm into more compact firearms & if I ever get sick of the Taylor, a reamer for the new 416 Ruger will fix that.:)
Steve

Tags: