nice surprises!

Started by davidlt89, November 04, 2015, 03:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Been an interesting day! First, I will make a long story short. I went to my buddies after work to do a trap check, I am set for everything under the sun there. I checked a fisher set and then went back to the truck and got on my gauntlets and got my big setters and proceeded to head down the road behind his house that follows the small pond.

I looked down the road first as I have a canine set about 35 yards from where I park the truck. About 15 yards past that there is a corner that swings left and something was sitting on the edge of the road pond side (my right). At first I thought it might be one of the huge rabbits that inhabit that property. I took about 4 steps down the road and it turned and went in the woods towards the pond. BAM....I got a good look at the tail and it was a bobcat.

I hurried up there to maybe get a peek at it since there was hardly any woods there and I could hear it but not see it. then it came out about 20 yards ahead of me and crossed the trail to the other side. Got a really good look then.

Initially I was pulling the canine sets today since they have not produced, but I have changed my mind and will let them go and see if we just can't get one of these elusive cats.

I then proceeded to check all the sets and it was the first day I had nothing at that location. So I headed home and went out back. The neighbor has been kind enough to let me drive on a road he made to the river so I can go right to the railroad tracks with my truck. Right there I have two colony traps and a blind set with a 120. I have been getting rats (up to 27 right now) but nothing today.

Up the tracks I have 330 set in a beaver spillway, I got a kit in it yesterday but it was empty today. little further up is an old cement culvert. Monday I decided to try my hand at a genuine mink set. I had brought my little shovel and went on the downstream side of the culvert and I dug out a hole in the bank about a foot and half deep and about 4"x4". Mink are suckers for holes, this is what the set looked like.

Here is what was in it today.

And here is the finished project, gonna have it tanned.

This is a female, males are considerably larger. Hopefully we will see the male soon. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

NICE, BLACK, mink!

We don't have too many mink up here. I never targeted them, but caught them occasionally. That is one nice mink!

Where's the skull?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

sitting in the freezer Paul:toff: you don't think I would throw it away do you?;) God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

David this winter I should look for something for you if you want it. At the farmhouse there is a 1933 Hudson's bay trapping guide if you are interested and I can find it I will scan it for you. No promises I am not sure if I can find it.

davidlt89

that would be great farmboy, thank you! God Bless.

farmboy

If I can find that thing I remember it as being really interesting. Part guide part sales catalogue there are footprints of all different fur bearing animals with there names on them on the cover.

Tags: