Good start to 2011

Started by knuckledragger, April 09, 2011, 05:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knuckledragger

Had a good opener today. Cold wet and windy here today. Got into my primary site before sunup and sat for 3.5 hours near a strut zone Ive been watching. No gobbles, no calling at all. Only had one hen come in. She ran in, hung out with the dekes for a short while and then walked down the trail w/in a 7-8 ft of me putting and purring. I packed up and moved to the edge of some pines about a mile away and set up again. I had gobbles in a few minutes, after a total of 10 minutes I had him on the ground at 25 yds. 17 lbs, 10 in beard and spurs just over an inch.
Not everyone gets a trophy.

davidlt89

great pictures, nice turkey my friend!!!!! are you allowed to shoot anymore in your parts? Our season starts in May, I have a two day tripped planned but got slated for some back surgery next week so I will see how it goes. God Bless
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

knuckledragger

David- Thx. I have one tag left. I also have my two daughters who will be home for Easter, and the owner of the property I hunt who havent filled their tags. Even if I fill my next tag, I will have opportunity to call for other hunters which is always a thrill, too.

I try to take one Out-of-State turkey hunt each year. I should be in MD for their opener for a week this year. I say "should" because I havent heard back from my host yet and Im a week out. I may have to call an audible this year.

KD

Alboy

Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

bowhunter 51

Excellent stuff, Knuckle'.........
...........Looks like a good'n......Congratulations!..............................BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

buckshot roberts

:bowdown:congrats..........on the tom........season opens here next weekend.........what did you use to take him..........Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

knuckledragger

Ron-  I used a glass call from Woodhaven to make "1st contact".  He gobbled from quite a distance the first time.  When he gobbled the 2d time he was probably only 75 yards away, so I switched immediately to the diaphram call (I think its a Quaker Boy, had it a long time) and set up to close the deal.  He chose to strut in view of the dekes, but he was behind a screen of trees for me to see him.  I scooted to one side quick, reset and called on the mouth call.  His curiosity got the best of him, he had to look for the new hen.  I've carried the same 3 flambeau dekes for years: 2 x hen, 1 x jake.  

A note on Woodhaven.  I had one of these calls handmade for me as a gift from a friend.  The frame must have had a flaw because the glass fell out after a few seasons.  I returned it last year and they built me a new one from the ground up.  I didnt get it back for the season last year, but I used it yesterday.  Its a beautiful sounding call.  It was crystal clear.  They have me as a customer for life.  

KD

gitano

NICE BIRD!

Congratulations!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

That's a beauty. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

noel

wish more companies had that kind of pride!
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

Tags: