RU Hunting Deer this year?

Started by Hiker, July 15, 2005, 01:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermonster

Whitetail.... I hunt mainly in the Islands.. Alburg to be exact....  Thinking about moving back to Vermont if I can convince my wife.  Would have to be the Burlington/Williston area.  

M Gardner.... I saw more deer than I ever had about 4 or 5 years ago. The herd was very strong, rebounding to record numbers, along with record deer kills. Then we had 2 bad winters in a row. This last year's Buck kill was one of the worst. However, I still saw 15 or so deer in my 5 days of hunting. Not too bad for there.

Hunting is still hunting......

m gardner

Vermonster, It sure is good just to be able to hunt. I like the Stratton area. Pretty rugged but always has deer. Usually see a few bucks per season and shoot one. Very few hunters which is nice. To understand just how good it was in the 1960's talk to some older guys who hunted then. It was heaven. I was 14 and saw nearly 100 deer some days. Twenty or 30 on the slow days. I like it here in the southwest, but I'll visit Vermont and New York. Lots of game and sunshine and easy winters. Good for my general health. And when I'm happy everybody's happy. God bless and good hunting.

Mark

WHITETAIL HUNTER

Vermonster,

Give hollar when your up, some good hunting in Chittenden County. Last year for insyance only sat 15 minutes into the season, and filled my rifle tag, on my way in jumped up 5, only a 30 minute walk to my sit. Never hunted Alburg, have Hunted Johnson, Addison County (all over), but never had trouble finding the game I seek at the time.
I do have to agree with F/G though, they are right. Too many yearling bucks killed, personally never killed a spike. Unicorn 2 point, a bunch of three's, and a heavy(150) five, but they all were yearling's too. I think their mistake was the doe permit's, and now they have realized alittle, don't get me wrong I will apply for a permit, but it's the amount of permit's they were issuing. The amount of deer one man could take that hurt the herd the worst. I never took part in that aspect, if I wanted more vesion I went to other states.:rolleyes:
Preserve the heritage, take a youth hunting.

Nothing outruns a deer, BUT A MAGNUM :eek:

Rick

I'll be hunting Unit 15 in Colorado for mule deer this year.  It will be the first time I've hunted that state.   I've been advised to buy an elk tag, too - over the counter, I guess.

Hiker

Rick, I spent a lot of years hunting 36, just south of you and I have a good friend who hunts by State Bridge, good area!
Good hunting,
Jeff

BuckBox Displays

Speaking of pronghorns, does anyone know of a good outfitter??? I'd like to give it a shot!

Willywonka

yeah I hit early season on a blacktail button buck. good stuff here in washington. ohh by the way I missed a 3x3 earlier in the season... easy rifle or bow range I just misjudged due to the cliff he was walking along below me lol.

buckshot roberts

;) I got 23 day's until gun season opens, been scout'n alot, got me 5 area's to hunt in, no does, in this zone just buck's.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Willywonka

Rifle hunting in the areas I hunt in is buck only but I hunt with my bows so it makes it a lot easier since we can take any deer. Shoot if I was hunting rifle my father and I could have popped these two huge bucks we saw walking along a ridgeline 200-250 yards up from us.

Highstand

mgardner, Do you live in NY?

Highstand

HARRY SACZ

I have both a buck and doe tag, deer gun season starts next Friday.

Quick Draw

I am/was hunting this year. My dad and I were drawn for a partnership in Eastern Washington. The hunt was great, it was either sex with the bucks having to be a 3 point minimum. Opening day we shot a 4 point mule deer and the following day we got a doe.
It was a short but sweet season.
Quick Draw
There\'s room for all God\'s creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Hiker

I hunted hard for deer this year but didn't get a shot at any shooters, so I came home without a buck both in WY & CO. I really enjoyed deer hunting this year and love to hunt with friends and see God's creation. Eventhough I came home empty I had some of my hunting buddies that connected on some really nice muleys. I'll try to post some photos.
Jeff

Tags: