Obsolete Cartridge Series - 7x61mm Sharpe & Hart Super

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), March 18, 2005, 04:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

According to the info, this cartridge is popular with our Canadian friends in the hunting fields.  I wonder just how many of them use it?

I also wonder how fellas like klallen would rate this cartridge for their long range hunting?

When I was first getting started, I wanted a Sako chambered in this cartridge and I am sorry that I let the chance slip by.  I've built many rifles on Sako L-61 actions and have always liked its looks.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

:( :( :( This is really a sad story of a cartridge that should have made it but didn't.............:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

During my year at gunsmithing college(1960-61), it was one of THE cartridges of choice.  Unfortunately it was only available in the Schultz & Larsen rifle($$$$) and factory ammo was difficult to find and expensive.  What a shame!

Oh well..!!:confused:

Ol' John....:( :( :( :p
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Howard_Krebs

Had a Schultz and Larson in 7 x61 sharpe & hart. Had a devil of a time procuring a set a reloading dies that worked for the chamber in the S&L. Spent some time on the phone with RCBS and was informed that the chamber dimensions, particularly the shoulder radius had changed during the time of manufacture. Factory ammo was produced to fit all chambers. However, fired cases had to be sent to RCBS to get the correct dimensions for my rifle. Let me add that RCBS modified a set of their 7x61 S&H dies to the correct dimensions at no cost other than shipping them back to them with several fired cases. It is a interesting and challenging cartridge to reload for. The S&L rifles are second to none. Regards H.Krebs

Jay Edward (deceased)

Thanks for that bit of history and technical information H.K.

Would you care to post the average accuracy with your S&L?  I would also appreciate any hunting experiences you had with it.

asc660

Back in 1966-68 a 5 shot group at 100 yards could be covered by a quarter.  I shot a moose estimated at 210 yards, 2 shots 1/2 inch apart in his lung cavity. The butcher estimated 1200 lbs on the hoof, 585 lbs. bone/dressed meat.  

I found that it was too much on a deer.  Too much destuction.  Other that than, great caliber, great cartridge.  I still have my 7x61S&H by Schultz and Larsen.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Hey acc660...

Do you have any pics of the rifle with the game?  Or the rifle alone?  Or the game alone?

I have a nostaligic feeling for that cartridge.

asc660

I did not take a pictures or the game or rifle.  However, I still have the rifle and can take a picture of it and post it or email it if you wish.

Tags: