Recent posts

AIR GUNS / Re: 5.52mm vs 5.51mm pellets -...
Last post by jaeger88 - Today at 08:03:49 AM
Are 5.51's better than 5.52's ?.
The answer to that one is................I don't know the answer.
Individual rifles are all different, yours could prefer either.
Trial & error is the only way to find out.

Last post by SmokeyJoe - Today at 04:54:49 AM
haha, why thank you Sir. 

No, I mean, why should I?  :Devil1:

Ok so now i know where the label is, wanna enlighten me on the different choices and whether 0.1mm extra tight skirt (steady) will give me lasers at 1000 yards with 10.7 fpe? 

Don't worry, you can give your real opinion, nobody will jump on you (unless I organise a seance for a second opinion)

:greentongue: :greentongue: :greentongue: :greentongue:
Last post by jaeger88 - Today at 01:07:40 AM
Air Arms pellet tins are generic Joe, & printed on the lid of the tin with the caliber. if you look on the bottom of the tin, it should have a label giving the actual pellet size. 5.50/5.51/5.52. The same label also gives other information, like, date of manufacture etc.
 :thl_sarcasm: If you get bored Joe, Air Arms also do a colouring book. You have to supply your own crayons though. :thl_sarcasm_off:
Last post by SmokeyJoe - Yesterday at 08:06:36 AM
PS - I THINK we are using 5.52, the tin only says 5.5mm for some stupid reason!

AIR GUNS / 5.52mm vs 5.51mm pellets - Wha...
Last post by SmokeyJoe - Yesterday at 08:04:03 AM

Been zeroing an Air Arms S200 and newly purchased S410 TDR (very nice bit of kit!)

The S200 has done nicely with Air Arms Diabolo pellets. Lovely groups. 

The TDR came with half a tin of BSA pellets, they struggled to make sub 2 inch groups at 40 yards. Threw some of the AA Diabolos in it and it was hole on hole. Phew, that confirms the barrel's not bent  ;D

Now need to buy more of these AA Diabolos and i see two options: 5.51mm or 5.52mm. 

The ones we've been using are 5.52. Is there any reason to try the 5.51? I'd assume not due to possibility of falling out of the fiddly little magazines, but I'd be interested in thoughts on it and why the option is there. Here's a link, more to show our American cousins the sort of prices we Brits have to suffer on the wrong side of the pond.   :eek:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114130828645?var=414387472745
POST A POLL / Re: Good hunting gear fot turk...
Last post by gitano - April 25, 2024, 08:25:46 PM
Welcome Gabe.

One of the 'myths' (another word for lies tood by manufacturers) is that red dots don't have parallax issues. Usually stated like this, "No matter where your eye is, the red dot is always on the target." That's a bald-faced lie. I personally owned a very high-end red dot sight. I was intrigued by the idea of "no parallax". So i tried it. The red dot moved ALL OVER THE PLACE! To say it stays on the target is beyond absurd! 

The second issue with red dots is the size, in minutes of an angle. USED TO BE, you could PAY FOR a 1MOA dot. But today, it's EXTREMELY difficult to get a 1 MOA dot. Most are 2MOAs. What that means is that at 100y, the DOT covers TWO INCHES OF THE TARGET. Two inches at 100y is EXTREMELY poor aiming ability. That's the error IN THE AIMING DEVICE. Whatever error thr firearm has is ADDED to that TWO MOA error of the sight.

How many precision shooters or snipers do you see using red dots? It's a rhetorical question. Red dots are for 'spray-n-pray" shooting. Scopes are for sniping.

Paul
POST A POLL / Good hunting gear fot turkey h...
Last post by Gabe - April 25, 2024, 08:07:51 PM
I've read an article about AR15, but I was still confused. 
This is the article. https://www.cvlife.com/blogs/news/red-dot-sights-vs-rifle-scope-what-s-the-best-for-ar-16
Rifle scope or dot sight, which one will be a better choice for me to hunt turkey?
After you read it, what's your opinion?
THE CAMPFIRE / Re: Anzac Day Remembered!
Last post by Jamie.270 - April 24, 2024, 06:42:43 AM
I know this thread is a few years old, but given the fact that today is the 24th of April, I thought it appropriate that it be back at the top tomorrow for our friends "Down Under."

Respectfully, many Americans stand with you folks on ANZAC Day!

[Salute]
FIREARMS & OPTICS / Re: AR Trigger work
Last post by Gabe - April 24, 2024, 01:27:10 AM
Rifle scope or dot sight, which one is more suitable for AR15? I use the AR15 for hunting elk and turkey. I've read this article about AR15. But I still have some questions. https://www.cvlife.com/blogs/news/red-dot-sights-vs-rifle-scope-what-s-the-best-for-ar-16
AUSTRALIAN OUTDOORS / Re: Teaming up on the foxes in...
Last post by Gabe - April 23, 2024, 10:39:46 PM
That's so cool! Your rifle looks really not bad. Could you tell me if it can match my LPVO scope? And this is the details of my scope. https://www.cvlife.com/products/cvlife-1-6x24-lpvo-scope-with-cantilever-mount