Compromise on gun laws in the US

Started by Jamie.270, September 28, 2010, 07:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie.270

From The LawDog Files.  I agree, maybe you will too.  
I know it will become part of my arsenal during the next gun rights discussion I have!
The LawDog Files: Ok, I'll play
Quote1. Will you continue a reasonable discussion towards an end that might lead somewhere or is this an exercise in futility?

Since what you consider to be reasonable isn't even in the same plane of reality with what I consider reasonable, probably not.

Allow me to explain.

I hear a lot about "compromise" from your camp ... except, it's not compromise.

Let's say I have this cake. It is a very nice cake, with "GUN RIGHTS"  written across the top in lovely floral icing. Along you come and say,  "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise. Give me half." I respond by asking what I  get out of this compromise, and you reply that I get to keep half of my  cake.

Okay, we compromise. Let us call this compromise The National Firearms Act of 1934.

There I am with my half of the cake, and you walk back up and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise." What do I get out of this compromise? Why, I  get to keep half of what's left of the cake I already own.

So, we have your compromise -- let us call this one the Gun Control Act  of 1968 -- and I'm left holding what is now just a quarter of my cake.

And I'm sitting in the corner with my quarter piece of cake, and here you come again. You want my cake. Again.

This time you take several bites -- we'll call this compromise the  Clinton Executive Orders -- and I'm left with about a tenth of what has  always been MY **** CAKE and you've got nine-tenths of it.

Then we compromised with the Lautenberg Act (nibble, nibble), the  HUD/Smith and Wesson agreement (nibble, nibble), the Brady Law (NOM NOM  NOM), the School Safety and Law Enforcement Improvement Act (sweet  tap-dancing Freyja, my finger!)

I'm left holding crumbs of what was once a large and satisfying cake,  and you're standing there with most of MY CAKE, making anime eyes and  whining about being "reasonable", and wondering "why we won't  compromise".

I'm done with being reasonable, and I'm done with compromise. Nothing  about gun control in this country has ever been "reasonable" nor a  genuine "compromise".

LawDog
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Daryl (deceased)

He makes some good points.

I'll say, though, that depending on where one lives, it would appear that on top of the feds taking big portions of the cake, many state governments have taken the entire remainder, and now sell it back to the citizens in tiny, crumb sized pieces.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

noel

so basically what you have is a crumby situation on your hands!I agree that the term "reasonable",is often one-sided!!!
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

Jamie.270

And in the context of gun control,...
The word "compromise" doesn't really exist.  They want it all, but as Lawdog explains, they're willing to take it one piece at a time.

If we let them.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Personally, what I feel is important in this presentation are the pronouns "us" and "them". I think there are A LOT of "us's" acting like "thems" when it comes to "compromise". Too often I hear so-called "hunters" saying the likes of "Who needs an automatic weapon to hunt with? There's nothing wrong with outlawing automatic "assault weapons" if it will make it safer for the police."

The "compromisers" aren't "them". The compromisers are "us".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

LvrLover

You betcha, Paul. I don't bait bear. I don't run bear with dogs. I don't hunt doves. I don't use a bow, semi auto, etc... Then there is the "you don't need its". It isn't the governments business what I do or do not need.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

buffalo bob

Quote from: gitano;108242Personally, what I feel is important in this presentation are the pronouns "us" and "them". I think there are A LOT of "us's" acting like "thems" when it comes to "compromise". Too often I hear so-called "hunters" saying the likes of "Who needs an automatic weapon to hunt with? There's nothing wrong with outlawing automatic "assault weapons" if it will make it safer for the police."

The "compromisers" aren't "them". The compromisers are "us".

Paul

i have heard that repeatedly.  and i dont "need " any automatic weapon. but i wanted one so i bought it.  because it is my right.   and i will probably buy a 50 BMG before too long.  may never shoot it but i want one just because it is my right to have it.

Tags: