What good is the .357 Magnum rifle for whitetail deer hunting?

Started by periscope_depth, February 24, 2005, 06:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alboy

Rries and donaldstop

Wanted to say welcome to THL and hope you join in the conversations more.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

donaldstop

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;98184Donaldstop, welcome to THL. If you're from Ky., what part do you live in? .....Paul H

Hi Paul, I live in Kenton County (Northern KY)

donaldstop

Quote from: donaldstop;98180I have killed 3 whitetail deer in KY with a Marlin 357 magnum rifle. All 3 deer were killed with 1 broadside heart / lung shot each. These are the only deer that I have shot at with my 357. I have never had one get away with this gun. I use 158 grain jacketed soft points. All 3 ran about 30 to 40 yards after being shot. The distance of the shots ranged from 30 to 50 yards. The owner of the property did not want any high powered rifles used but would allow the 357 that is why I hunted with it. Its a good gun for a kid because it is short and dont kick. It is my favorite all around rifle because of it's small size, low kick, fun to shoot and will get the job done. I refer to it as my urban assult rifle. I dont care much for pistols. If you are going to buy a rifle for deer hunting I would choose at least a 30-30 but the 357 will kill a deer with a well placed shot.[/quote

I'm back again. Opening day 09 my 11 year old son just harvested his first 2 deer ever and did it with the 357. Both were 40 yard shots, one shot for each deer, one ran about 15 yards and the other about 30 yards before dropping. That puts my 357 at 5 and 0 for whitetail deer.

Daryl (deceased)

Donaldstop,

Congrat's to you and your son, and thanks for the input!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Alboy

If you have the time and inclination flesh out that story a touch more and pics are always appreciated
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: