Teflon tape bullet patching.

Started by TackyDriver, March 06, 2011, 03:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TackyDriver

I do a lot of thinking when I'm doing "Honey Do"s. I just make sure I'm paying enough attention to not glue my hand to whatever I'm repairing. I'd been looking into alternatives to the 8mm (.329") bullets used for my Steyr-Mannilicher M1895 in case the supply of bullets dried up or became too expensive. One of those alternatives was using cast, paper patched boolits in 8mm (.323") boolits.

While doing some home plumbing repair I was using teflon thread tape on the male threads for a fitting. I reached for the wrong roll and got some tape that was 3/4" wide instead of the 1/2". Then it hit me. How would this stand up to the grooves of a rifle? I don't have a reloading setup just yet and so I can't find out on my own. So far, it fits really well on some Speer 9.3mm bullets I have for a different project. It even conforms decently to the flat base. I'd been playing around with a cigarette rolling machine to apply paper patches that worked pretty well but this wasn't even necessary.

In the in the next couple of weeks I'll send for some lead boolits, try patching them with teflon, and use a reverse slugging method (breech to muzzle) to see how well the tape stands up to rifling. I just need to be careful not to block the barrel permanently. Talk about having a painful wedgy;). When I can at least borrow someone else's seating die I can find out whether the tape will stay in place or bunch up in front of the case mouth. If it's safe, by all means try it and share what you find out with everyone.

Thanks
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

Nelsdou

I've heard of people using teflon tape successfully on other forums but I'll give you one caution why I won't use it in that application. The use of teflon tape is prohibited in nuclear piping applications because at elevated temperatures teflon breaks down and releases some nasty corrosive by-products that can attack steels, even stainless.

But if you clean your barrel after use in a timely fashion you'd probably be ok.

I'd suggest checking your m95 throat dimensions to see if a .323 bullet patched up to .329 is enough. If it's oversized go to the diameter to ensure it seals.

In a 9.3mm I've had mixed success patching up .358 bullets. A slightly oversized throat and getting the bullets seated squarely in the case necks has been my challenge.

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

TackyDriver

Quote from: Nelsdou;111711The use of teflon tape is prohibited in nuclear piping applications because at elevated temperatures teflon breaks down and releases some nasty corrosive by-products that can attack steels, even stainless.

But if you clean your barrel after use in a timely fashion you'd probably be ok.
Nels

Thanks for the word, Nels. I didn't know about that. I wonder if there's a temperature threshold. We use teflon for cookware but doubt it gets over 350-400F/150-220C on our stove top. My BBQ is another matter:grin:. I imagine in nuke power plants there're ridiculous temperatures, especially when dealing with super-heated steam.

I have no idea what typical internal bore temps might be but I'm not  sure I'd want to chance it. Especially with an old, harder to replace  barrel. I'll proceed from the standpoint  that whatever is discovered might be useful as an emergency substitute. Do you remember where you heard about others using teflon?
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

Nelsdou

The castboolits forum has a section dedicated to smokeless paper patching. Goggle it and you should find quite a bit with a search on teflon.

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

gitano

Interesting concept, and interesting comments.

Heat shrink comes to mind (someone said the teflon would be 'like' heat shrink). I have little concern about being 'large' relative to the bore. P.O. Ackley did quite a bit of experimental work with putting "large" bullets down "small" bores. The conclusion was "it ain't gonna end civilization as we know it". Seems to me that 'heat shrink' might be easier to apply than teflon tape.

As for .330" bullets for your M-95. Lee makes a Gas Check mold that works well for me. I prefer the jacketed Hornady 205s because they are currently available, and I am slowly stock-piling them. Still... should that source 'dry up', there's always cast, and in the M-95, you give up nothing by going to cast.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: