Big Pig Down

Started by Mauserfan in TX, April 26, 2009, 03:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

Then you did a LOT better than I did.
I built my 8x57 Mauser using an action from an old beat up k98 I got for $125.
Mind you the new bbl was $535 fitted, the Timney trigger $125 fitted, the Choate stock (like yours) $220, the mounts & rings cost $70 and various other bits stuff like bedding and blueing and bending the bolt handle cost brought the total cost to $1105.
Now, remember, this is Aussie dollars and we have to pay an arm and a leg for stuff that is inexpensive for you guys but that is a LOT to pay for a rifle.
For that (and the extra money I spent on silly stuff which was eventually removed from the rifle) I could probably have picked up a nice new rifle, maybe even a Browning A-Bolt, in the same cal.
If you work out how I can build rifles that cheap let me know! :undecided:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Mauserfan in TX

Hi kombi, i guess that i am indeed fortunate. Some of the things i do is i get a LOT of sale papers. When i see things that i may need later, i grab them up and put them away for a rainy day. I also do minor gun repairs for other friends and you can accuire a lot of spare parts that way.The stock on my little Ishy i picked up from ATI was next to nothing. It also helps that i have friends who are professional gunsmiths and are always looking out for me.For instance. Satutday i picked up a '38 Turk mauser in a pawn shop . The previous owner said it was just wore out. I gave a whooping $85.00 for it. It is in a scout configuration, and i suspect the scope is what is wore out. The clerk at the pawn shop is a part-time gunsmith and a good friend. He called me to come look at it while the customer was still there. I actually gave him more for his rifle than what he could have gotten from the shop.It is in 8mm and i will leave it that way. I will post it in the firearm section pretty soon. Take Care Amigo, Danny
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

jesusgecko

I saw 227lb and thought "that's a blimmin' big boar".  Then I re-read and realised it was a sow - and I said some rather naughty words!!!
VERY nice one there!!!  Biggest porker I ever got was around 150lb (first time I ever fired a centrefire too - but that's another story) and I thought THAT was huge!!!
Normality is for the weak.

Tags: