.223 Wssm

Started by BullzEye17HMR, February 22, 2006, 04:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BullzEye17HMR

i recenty found that winchester makes a .223 in short mag.  it shoots a 55 grain ballistic silvertip at 3850f/s.  does anyone own one of these or shot one?  i assum this would make an excellent long range varmit rifle and a good deer rifle.

kilkritrsnow

the ballistics in print look great , but if you want to get the job done with some thing semi exotic go,.225 sswm its like a 25-o6 on steroids and will work in a AR 15 which is my next project, necked up to a 6.5 , greater bullet selection!!

killahog

I have a 233 AI It shoots a 40g v max bullet at 4000 fps last summer I shot a 9 shot group That measured .115. and many others it the 1 & 2 s I use this gun for killing prairy dogs out west but I have also killed 5 coyotes with it. They coyotes I shot with it actually ran for 20 or 30 yards but the bullet did not exit Ithink there thick hide exploded the bullet but it killed them quick with no pelt damage. Where this gun really does a good job is turning crows into energy,The black ******** actually explode expecially if you can hit them in the side and hit the wing bone. It looks to me like the 223 ssm would actually have less of a wind drift with the 55g pill over the 40 g. I say buy it.

rockinbbar

I don't know that I'd invest in a company that went "belly-up" after releasing all those WSM's & WSSM's...While ballistics do lokk good, will you be able to find ammo in 5 yaers?

In my opinion again, if you want a caliber that pushes a 22 bullet at those velocities, the 22-250 does a great job...or even a .220 Swift.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

Have to agree with rockinbbar.  Who needs a rifle chambered for an obsolete cartridge?  

Winchester's future is dismal right now, and I'm not too sure I'd take a chance on them.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

RatherBHuntin

Rumour I heard was that the ammo division was still gonna stay in business, and folks around here aint really concerned about whether or not ammo is readily available, at least so it seems to me.  

If'n Jay and Quigley and Don wasn't using "obsolete" cartridges they would probably be chuckin a spear or using a sling.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Gmoney

Quote from: killahogI have a 233 AI It shoots a 40g v max bullet at 4000 fps last summer I shot a 9 shot group That measured .115.
1/10 of an inch for a 9 shot group?.....that is mighty impressive to say the least...

While not saying the cartridge is not impressive, a .223 or a -250...orrrrr even the .204 .....can achieve the same  results....

However, I do kinds like possessing things that most others do not have.....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

hunter76

Browning Also Offers That Caliber. I Believe That Browning Owns Winchester Because When I Called They First Responded As Browning Services.  I Would Not Worry About The Future Of This Cartridge If You Want Less Wind Drift The 243 Wssm Has A Bullet That Goes 4000 Fps With A 55 Grain Slug. This Is On The Winchester Ammo Catalog.  And If You Want Even Less Wind Drift Go With The 257 Talk To You Later

Tags: