Treat!

Started by davidlt89, June 28, 2016, 03:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

I got a call the other day from a lady in a  neighboring town who had a problem fox. They own a business and the fox has been acting very strange and is not scared of people. Normally I turn these calls down but not too busy now so I decided to help her out. I received a very large cage live trap last year and figured it would do the job.

I can't set any footholds due to lynx so this was my only option! So I traveled out today and set the trap and on my way back home I noticed something in the road, actually, I noticed it to late. I heard it hit under the truck and looked in the mirror and was laying in the road. The victim in question is a woodcock, we have a ton of them up here but no one ever really hunts them. Most are after ruffed grouse which are also in abundance.

So I picked this little fella up and dressed him right there in the road and brought him back here and included him with supper! I put a 9 volt battery in the picture to contrast the how small their breast is. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

I would travel to Maine to be able to hunt woodcock!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Always have a place to stay my friend! God bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

LvrLover

No timberdoodles in Alaska, Paul?
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

gitano

Seriously! Maine is near the top of the list of places I am considering buying property. Brookies and timberdoodles; bear hunting and beaver trapping. It's like a magnet drawing me.

Paul

Didn't see your post, Lvrover! Nope, no timberdoodles in AK. Not even migratory. :(

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Of course I am serious! Anytime you want to come up and look around just let me know. God bless.

davidlt89

And dont forget the fisher;)

gitano

I think woodcock, (AKA timberdoodle, bogsucker, night partridge, brush snipe, hokumpoke, and becasse), or scientifically Scolopax minor, is one of my favorite game birds. I just think they are 'cool'. Cool looking, neat behaviors, fun shooting, and good eating. Another great bird for the 28 gauge.

For those that don't know them, I've attached a picture below.

Paul

Can't forget fishers!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

The eurasian woodcock, Scolopax rusticola, is a different species and significantly larger that the North American species. From what I see, at least twice as big as the North American bird. Nah, FOUR TIMES as big anyway.

Paul

PS - I looked up their relative weights: 5-6 oz for the NA species. 10-12 oz for the Eurasian one.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Love to see them around, that jinxing flight when disturbed...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

jaeger88

Traditional uk method for cooking Woodcock, is leaving the head  and entrails attached. The idea is that the woodcock is a clean bird and  all the entrails can be eaten once cooked (except the gizzard). The  tradition in leaving the head on is the delicacy of the brain.

Some say you should grill them over a slice of toast, then eat the toast with what ever has dripped on to it.

Think I will maybe pass on that. :confused:
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

Hunterbug

It'll take a few of those to make a meal. I hope that it was good.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

I read that they don't have a gall bladder and the 'guts and all' are traditionally left in and eaten like pate'. I suppose I might try that because I am always willing to try traditional gustatory meals. However, given what I know about other bird entrails, it doesn't sound particularly appetizing!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

That's a nice one. ..
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: