Which rifle is the better buy?

Started by graggn, October 31, 2005, 08:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

graggn

I am in the process of buying a new hunting rifle (Deer), I have narrowed it down to a winchester model 70 and a remington model 700. Both are black synthetic and are priced at winchester-$432.00, remington $435.00. The winchester comes with a scope, not a great one but I was thinking about taking it off and using it on another rifle anyway. I hear to many negatives about the Rem. safety. Should that be a major concern. Also what do yo think of a Leapers scope.

azhdryder

The leapers scope is ok as long as you dont look through it or try to use it for anything important, like zeroing. As far as rifles, put them up on your shoulder and see what feels better. Can you reach the safety, the rem safety is easier for me, an I own a mod 70 as well so I know.  If the caliber is already decided , the rifle which fits you best is the way to go. There are a bunch of remington haters here, Im not one of them. Give each a try and see what works for you.
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

Vermonster

I think it makes a difference where you are hunting (Don't see it in your bio) and what type of shot you'll have.  For example, I own 2 deer guns.  For hunting in Vermont, I have a Marlin 30-30 lever action at my parents house, and it's all I've ever needed.  Farthest shots are usually only just over 100 yds at MOST, but also shooting through alot of brush.  This is more than enough gun for me there.  Now, in California, where it's sage brush country and our shots can be 300 yds at times, I have a Remmington 700 .30-06, which will reach out and tap one if I need it.

Hope this helps......

Daryl (deceased)

Winchester and Remington is like comparing Fords and Chevy's.  Just depends on your taste.

They'll both shoot fine, so I'd do as azhdryder suggested and just see what fits you best.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Twizzler

I don't  think you can go wrong with either the Rem. or the Win. I have both and prefere the Win. Of corse I do alot of work for Win. so I am partial to them. I also have a CZ which I prefer over both of them. I believe that your gun is only as good as you scope. It won't matter what gun you have if you put a bad scope on it.

buckshot roberts

;) I've always been a winchester man myself, Got a model 70 that I've had for over 30 years, It's been a good'n But I have owned a REM auto rifle or two in my life , I got me a savage model 99R that fits me the best, but I'm not go'n to put the winchester out, I always liked ford trucks untill I got me a gmc.
;) Hey Twizzler,  Very good point about the scope.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: