favorite vintage lever gun ?

Started by locknloadnow, December 10, 2008, 07:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FREE GUN-If you had a choice, which one would you pick ?

ivil War Era Spencer
1 (14.3%)
ivil War Era Henry
1 (14.3%)
odel 1866 Winchester
0 (0%)
odel 1873 Winchester
2 (28.6%)
odel 1886 Winchester
1 (14.3%)
odel 1895 Winchester
1 (14.3%)
odel 71 Winchester
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 5

locknloadnow

locknloadnow

Daryl posted:

1892 Winchester.

;)

Daryl

blonde, brunette, or redhead ?

answer:  blondette

(chuckle...)  

i.e. there's no "wrong" answer:grin:

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: locknloadnow;87258Daryl posted:

1892 Winchester.

;)

Daryl

blonde, brunette, or redhead ?

answer: blondette

(chuckle...)

i.e. there's no "wrong" answer:grin:

Yep, I posted it, but then deleted it thinking "Aw heck, what's the point in posting that?"

That would be my preference, but if you want to give me a free one, I'd take any of 'em! ;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

Savage 99....Bet that surprizes most of you that know me, huh? :D
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Alboy

If it can be just be from the era give me a Smiths 50 carbine,

Other wise I am with Daryl, any of them will find a good home.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

22hornet

A Savage 99 of course!!:bowdown:

But a Spencer would be good too.:D
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

kombi1976

Where are the Martinis?
They have a lever!
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

22hornet

Quote from: kombi1976;87350Where are the Martinis?
They have a lever!

I was waiting for you to say that!:rolleyes:

Actually with abit of a rethink, if someone was to make a new model 71 Winchester in 348 I'll hand over my money now. I have seen a couple of new ones going in 30-06 but thats not for me.

With all the reproduction Sharps, Spencers, Rolling Blocks and the like why can't someone make a reproduction Martini? I think it would sell like hot cakes!
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

LvrLover

Out of those a '73. Course I also like the 99, and what about the Marlins? I have a Model 64 Winchester and it is also sweet. So many guns, so little time. As we all know I'm a lever lover!
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

recoil junky

I picked the Henry. Lot's of firepower and was pretty accurate, plus it didn't beat you to death.

If I were to get another lever action, that's what it would be. Hmm, Oh Santa!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

kombi1976

Quote from: 22hornet;87354I was waiting for you to say that!:rolleyes:

With all the reproduction Sharps, Spencers, Rolling Blocks and the like why can't someone make a reproduction Martini? I think it would sell like hot cakes!

It's a point.
Actually I think it has to do with the fact that 577/450 is not factory loaded.
If it were then we would see them.
And it's a vicious circle; no factory ammo equals no repros - no repros equals less demand to make factory ammo.
See my point?
Nope, a slightly modified Martini Henry action with possibilities for a scope mount, an adjustable trigger,  an angled back action (to allow longer cartridges) and perhaps a rimless extractor would see much more appeal.
But then that wouldn't be a proper Martini, right?
Just the scope and adjustable trigger would probably be enough so long as you chambered it to 30-30, 303 Brit, 38-55, 444 Marlin and 45-70.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

locknloadnow

there's another reproduction lever worthy of mention, a few years ago I ponied up and purchased a reproduction 1887 Winchester lever action shotgun with short barrel 12 gauge 2.75" chamber, shooting rifled slugs through it at 50 yards is quite enjoyable, it's amazingly accurate with only a front bead sight- I've yet to shoot any game with it- muzzle blast/noise is a bit extreme, an ear ringer for about a week after shooting one shot without ear protection just to test it for loudness- they are quite smooth, quick actions, but are finicky as to what hulls they are fed- Wolf brand slugs cycled fine, but Wolf buckshot rounds would not extract reliably- the entrance fee is about half price on the used market lately- the guns were assembled in China using many USA parts i.e. stocks, chokes, stock finish, etc. I put the mfr. on the hot seat asking him why not make them in USA, his answer was the gun would be 2X the price made in USA. I told him that would be preferable and I'd gladly pay it anyway. He had numerous quality/assembly headaches along the way due to the language barrier/distance involved from mfg. facility, being he lives in USA. The leather lever sock is factory OEM- to prevent lever from pinching your hands/fingers when cycling it. After trying this one, I'd like to find an original 1902 Winchester- classic John Browning design.

Tags: