New Purchase - BSA Cadet Major

Started by Jorge in Oz, November 19, 2006, 08:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorge in Oz

Hi there,I just bought an old BSA Cadet Major .177 air rifle and  was wondering anyone had put a scope on one of these relics. It's just an old backyard plinker but it does not have anywhere to mount a scope on.Not worth too much so I don't want to go mad and drill and tap it or anything like that but does anyone have any suggestion how I could mount something on it to improve on the non-adjustable sights eg side mount or old Sportco peeps.Any info on this model would be most appreciated as there is not much on the net about them. I guess they are ancient.CheersJorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Jay Edward (deceased)

I dunno Jorge... mayhap you could epoxy on a piece of thin steel to the top of the barrel and use one of those old .22 scopes with the claw mounts.

Brithunter

Hi All,

Oh my how your misinformed :rolleyes:  The BSA Cadet major is collectable and with collectables condition is everything ;) . Thye were know for their accuracy and it was a more powerful version of the Cadet meant for teenagers and adults.

Now the Cadet Major has an adjustable trigger and elevation adjustable sights and the model was intrduced in 1947 and production ended in 1959. The Meteor replaced it.

Spares as far as I know are still available so a new spring and washers would possibly be a good idea. Oh and don't screw the rearsight up too much as if you do the blade under spring pressure pings out into the great void :p . Hope that helps some.
Go Get them Floyd!

Jorge in Oz

Thanks you for your replies Guys.

No idea it was collectible. It's not in bad knick for an old girl.

I'm happy just to plink with open sights and test it's potential.

The Indian Mynahs have caught my eye in the backyard so I'll start on them and see how this badboy shoots. they bully the native birds so I'll do my bit for the native wildlife.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Jorge in Oz

Hey BritHunter,

I finally picked up my BSA Cadet Major. After your comments I began to search  the net which confirmed what you had said. Thanks for that. A mate of mine said the same and mentioned how accurate the Major Cadet is, well he was right, shoots like a dream.

One question though, what is the small screw at the back of the action for.

I proceeded to tighten all the screws before I used it but I could not cock the rifle, so I loosen that small screw and it cocked. I probably answered my own question, but does that vary the force with which the spring is released, what is it's intended purpose?

Also, where could I get myself a copy of an owner's manual for this rifle.

Thank you for your assistance.

Cheers

Jorge

Brithunter

Hi Jorge,

As far as I am aware never having any of the Cadets :o  that screw is the trigger sear adjustmemt which might explain why it would not cock ;) . As for instruction leaflet or book not sure but you might try John Knibbs:-

[link]http://www.airgunspares.com/[/link]

As he has lot's of BSA stuff and can help with information as well. Hope that helps.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: