Cull

Started by jaeger88, June 13, 2016, 05:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaeger88

The gardeners at the local park were kicking up a fuss about their plants vanishing over night again.

So had to do a bit of a cull on the Muntie & Squirrel population's the other evening.

Score was 7 Munties & 7 Grey Squirrels.

Would  have accounted for more Squirrels had the park security cleared us to  shoot while the Sun was still out, but a soon as the Sun goes in, so do  most of the Squirrels.

There's only 6 Munties in the pic, as the 7th is being separated from its insides in the chiller.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

Hunterbug

Looks like a busy day. Are they good eating?
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

"A truck-full o' deer" is a sight for sore eyes!

What firearm did you use for the muntjacs? I assume it was suppressed.

:food04: :food04: :food04:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

jaeger88

Yea they are pretty good eating HB, though its only really the back end and the saddle that's any use. There's not much on the front end.

I used my Steyr Mannlicher Hubertus .222 Rem Paul. Topped with a Meopta 6 to 18 x 50 scope, with an A-Tec Moderator.  Load was a 50 grain Sierra soft point over 21 grains of Vihtavuori N130.

Its the first time Ive used it on Deer, but it did the job well, 7 clean kills for 7 shots.

Two ran for maybe ten yards, but the other five fell dead on the spot.

Closest shot was 30 yds & the furthest about 100. Not particularly "sporting", but it was a cull after all.

A return visit is due soon, I doubt if we even scratched the surface.

See pic of rifle with the first Fox I took with it.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

gitano

Nice!

By the way, while these muntjac are most certainly "small", I'm not sure they qualify for "small game". :D But the squirrels certainly do!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Looks like a lot of fun! Good job. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

jaeger88

I quite agree Paul, I originaly put this post in the "Big Game" section, as it was mainly about the Deer, not the Squirrels, but it was moved to "Small Game" by an Administrator, against my wishes.
I cant believe in fate.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

All other Muntjac stuff is in 'small game'. Historically an invasive species (along with CWD) that was always considered to be vermin in the UK.

btw, you make it sound like I asked...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

jaeger88

Times change, Munties & Chinese Water Deer were considered Vermin maybe 20 years ago, but no more.

Since  estates over here cottoned on to the fact that the UK is about the only  place outside of China & India with Munties or CWD's, prices have  climbed.

With Gold medal Bucks setting you back up to £800.00. (  Prices, & ways of relieving you of your hard earned cash vary from  estate to estate ).

But its still a hell of a lot cheaper than going to China or India.

If for no other reason than the cost of shooting the things, I believe they should be under "Big Game".

Ive put all my previous Muntie posts there, so that's where I shall continue putting them.
I cant believe in fate.

jaeger88

Times change, Munties & Chinese Water Deer were considered Vermin maybe 20 years ago, but no more.

Since  estates over here cottoned on to the fact that the UK is ( as far as I know ) the only  place outside of China & India with Munties or CWD's, prices have  climbed.

With Gold medal Bucks setting you back up to £800.00. (  Prices, & ways of relieving you of your hard earned cash vary from  estate to estate ).

But probably still a hell of a lot cheaper than going to China or India.

Ive put all my previous Muntie posts under "Big Game", so that's where I shall continue putting them.
I cant believe in fate.

gitano

I think if the Germans and the Scandanavians can consider Capercaillie "big game", and some US states consider turkeys "big game", we can consider all members of the deer family big game for the purposes of "where to post".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Memories fade, "20 years ago" way less than that.
CRS playing up, when we did the DSC1 (2002) they were issuing 22cf for Muntjac and CWD as vermin here.

The Deer Act 1991
Amended by Statutory
Instrument 2007,No 2183

To be clear, UK law did not consider them any kind of game until 2007.

Just in case your maths ain't up to it that is 9 years ago - not 20!
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

"big game" in British English                                    

big game
noun uk   /ˌbɪɡ ˈɡeɪm/ us   /ˌbɪɡ ˈɡeɪm/
large wild animals that are hunted and shot for sport.

(Nothing to do with the cost of shooting them)
Turvey Stalking

buckshot roberts

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

I wuz thinkin'... If you don't shoot those bucks in the head, I'd really like to have one (or as many as you care to send) of them. (The skull that is.) No need to do anything to it except get most of the meat off the outside and stick a wire in the brain cavity and 'stir about' then wash out with some water. Put in a plastic bag with some salt and let me know what the shipping is. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I agree....all deer are big game in my book.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

jaeger88

British law & the Deer Act have nothing to do with it, & may not  have considered them as "Game" until 2007, but European hunters did,  & were coming here to hunt them way before then.
I did say "maybe" 20 years, calculating back, it was only 18 years I first met European hunters over here after Munties. That's when I stopped thinking of Munties as vermin.

Oh, & JB, I never said nor implied that the cost of shooting them bore any relevance to their status as "big" game.
I  was giving a reason why European hunters are willing to pay good money  to come to the UK, rather than pay a lot more to go to China or India. ( Pay attention at the back of the class !)

In this situation, the words "big", "large", "small", are purely subjective, not objective. At least, for Game in the UK.  This is not Africa.

At  the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, we all have our opinions,  but as this is an American forum, I'm gonna play by their rules, so I will continue to put Munties in the Big Game section.

small game

noun                                                                         1.      wild animals and birds hunted for sport, as rabbits or doves, that are smaller than animals, as deer and bears, classified as big game.

I rest my case.
I cant believe in fate.

gitano

I think we need a "Hard Head" icon/meme for j0e_bl0ggs and jaeger88. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

In this situation, the words "big", "large", "small", are purely  subjective, not objective. At least, for Game in the UK.  This is not  Africa.

In your interpretation

There is no legal definition regarding 'big game' in UK which is where I'm coming from.
It's a little like your incorrect description of a bullet (as a head).
Turvey Stalking

farmboy

Looks like they would be a really fun for handgun hunting. About the right size to use a 357 or bigger and have enough power to knock them down at the distances you were shooting. I am guessing they don't let you hunt with handguns though. We cannot hunt wiith them here makes me sad that we cannot do that.

farmboy

How many more do you think you have to cull?

jaeger88

Handguns have been effectively banned in the UK for some years now FB, but yes, Munties & CWD's would be good fun to hunt with one.

Don't know how many more we need to cull, maybe another 7 or 8. though the gardeners would dearly like them wiped out completely. It would be pointless trying, as they would just be replaced with fresh stock from the surrounding woods.

Glad to see you agree with me at last  JB. The word "Subjective", means, basically, "in your opinion/interpretation". Which is what Ive been saying all along.

As for my incorrect use of the word "head" to describe a bullet JB. Well  rightly or wrongly, like it or lump it , the word is being increasingly used now.

Roughly 75% of customers in the shop now ask for "heads", rather than "bullets". ( In fact many people wrongly ask for "bullets" when they mean "round's").

As with many words,  meaning's can can change with time & use.

Take for example, Ga-, Bad, Sick, & Cool", they all have meanings they never used to.

So I'm not disagreeing with you on this, the word "head" may be incorrect, but not for long.
I cant believe in fate.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I'll use the 'classic' response -   Whatever*

*not to be read as 'agreement' - you can lead a donkey to water...

Bullet heads - flat wrong, the ignorant have no excuse.
Turvey Stalking

Tags: