varmint gun, what to buy

Started by JaDub, March 17, 2009, 03:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDub

Ok,   so I`m leaning towards a recreational varmint gun........   looking to plug a coyote or two and certainly a few ground dogs.   I`m definately on a tight budget, sadly, so my resources are very limited.  I`m not looking to buy `the ultimate gun`, just a respectable piece I can procure and have fun with.  New is out of the question so I`m looking for some advice on what to look for,  no shoulder wackers or scope-eye violaters please. :anxious:
   I`m not the **** type that in this case needs perfection.

What are your thoughts on a good shooting `reasonably` priced gun, caliber etc. and what price range should I expect?     Your help with my purchase of a Tikka T3 .308 worked out great,  I really appreciated the input.   I gotta say with the addition of a Limb Saver stock pad it is a very sweet gun to shoot.   I can usually  put   two boxes of shells thru it before I start to say "ouch".  :jumpingsmiley:

Thanks for your suggestions !

Daryl (deceased)

Look for a Savage bolt action in .223.

They aren't fancy, but hold up well and shoot straight. Ammo won't break the bank (unless the government makes it too hard to get), and it's easier on barrels and fur than some of the hotter cartridges like the 22-250.

The only problem with .223 that I can think of is that the government recently stopped selling military surplus empty brass to the public for reloading. Instead, it has to be destroyed and sold for scrap.

Georgia Arms depended heavily on that military brass for their .223 and .308 ammo. As a result, they have cancelled all orders for those cartridges, for both civilian and law enforcement orders.

There is rumor that there's a chance of this decision by the DOD being put on hold, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. It's more obamanomics that will be felt by both civilians and law enforcement who used this and other brands of ammo.

You can imagine the pressure this will put on other suppliers who are already under contract to supply these same cartridges to the military.  With ammo already hard to get because of people stocking up since the election, I'd guess this will make some types of ammo virtually impossible to get.

Better stock up while you can.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

davidlt89

allright, I'll bite! I hear you when you say resources are limited. I am in the same place you are, I'm looking to get a coyote whacker myself. currently putting some coins together. I am undecided between two rifles, the mossberg 100atr, and the marlin XS7. I can get the marlin new for 320.00 and in .243, which is the caliber I want. I thought about .223 but I want my boy to use this rifle for deer when he is old enough and i would feel better with a .243. problem is with both rifles, they are not offered in a lot of calibers, but .243 sould serve your purposes, especially if you are not concerned how much of the ground hog is left. The mossberg is slightly more expensive, but you are not going to find any cheaper bolts brand new. I have heard good things about both rifles. mossberg bought out a company called Charter arms who made a name for making cheap, but accurate rifles.  If that is too much money, then you can get a new england firearms or a rossi single shot in just about any caliber you want for around 200.00.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

recoil junky

Remington's 700SPS Varmint might be another option. I bought one of these in .223 last spring and it's pretty impressive, although the cheezy plastic stock leaves something to be desired. After about 30 minutes with a ginormous rattail file and a few test fittings I got the stock off the barrel and with my handloads it shoots sub moa groups. As a matter of fact, it killed the first sagerat of the season on Saturday.

Here's a 100 yard group. Not bad for a $450 rifle.

Another thought would be to look for an old Remington 788 in either .222 or .223. Though they were less than pretty, they always shot very well. Here's one of mine in .223

Here's a 100 yard group. Not bad for something that could be confused with a fence post

They usually can be picked up for $200-300.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

rockinbbar

JaDub,

Gmoney here has an EXCELLENT rifle for sale.

I can't believe he's actually selling it...;)

It's a Savage Predator in .204 Ruger.
Might send him a pm.

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

Well, according to a notice on Georgia Arms' website, the problem with the DOD selling spent brass for reloading purposes was reversed.

Seems like lots of shooters were upset about it, and started notifying their congresscritters about their displeasure.

So, that'll help with finding .223 and .308 ammo.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

JaDub

Barry,  what can you tell me about this .204?   Is the caliber getting a bit small or am I clearly a novice about this??  8-)  Do you know how much he`s asking?
   Recoil,  great info as usual as well as the great photo studies.  I`m not adverse to shooting `sage rats` with a fence post.  I really don`t care how ugly the gun might be, ugly is good if it shoots tight and the price is right.  There might be prettier race cars on the track with me but it really doesn`t matter how they look if they cross the line AFTER me.  8-))
    Daryl,  Will the ammo be hard to find on the shelf of my local dealer??  
    Davidlt89,   thanks for `biting` ,   keep it up.

Please chime in with your suggestions guys..........I need an education.  This is an interesting thread.

davidlt89

QuoteWell, according to a notice on Georgia Arms' website, the problem with the DOD selling spent brass for reloading purposes was reversed.
Just read this before I came on the sight.
QuoteDaryl, Will the ammo be hard to find on the shelf of my local dealer??
should not be now, those are two really popular calibers!!!!
QuoteDavidlt89, thanks for `biting` , keep it up.
well thanks, and I hope the info is useful. I have been looking and comparing guns for the better part of two months and cannot find anything cheaper than those two, and from what I have heard from people who have shot them, they are fairly accuarate. the new england firearms and rossi's may not be that accurate!
QuoteBarry, what can you tell me about this .204? Is the caliber getting a bit small or am I clearly a novice about this?? 8-) Do you know how much he`s asking?
I hope I am not stepping on any toes here, if I am Barry, please tell me. But the .204 is perfect for what you mentioned. I don't think you can go much higher than a 65gr, but that will kill everything you mentioned easily. I don't know what Gmoney is asking, but if the price is right, and you can afford it, it is a great gun, at least from what I have heard and I have grown to really appreciate savages after owning one. I have never had a more accurate gun!! certainly worth checking into IMHO. God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Daryl (deceased)

JaDub,

The .204 is a very popular coyote cartridge since it's fairly recent introduction.

It's a step up from the .17 Rem that I use, and I've had no problems killing coyotes with that.  Most drop in their tracks.

Daryl

RIP Linden33

Gmoney

I think I can link my ad here for you to see JaDub...

Please ask if you have any questions or give me a call...

Thanks...
I copy/pasted the ad from another site here.

AD STARTS:

I have a Savage Predator in .204 Ruger that is in pristine condition with less than 90 rounds fired.  It is the best shooter I have ever owned.  See pics below.

I can include a set of Talley LW's as well.  If someone is interested, I would also have lots of brass, dies, and bullets.  The gun needs to go first however.

I will trade for a .223 of some sort twisted at least 1:9 or faster.  If you would like to purchase the rifle, we can do $525 plus shipping.  FTF is always attractive especially if you'll be at the 'vous in a few weeks.

PM or give me a ring if you have any questions.  (830) 481-9080

There was a gentleman I was talking to about purchasing this rifle a bit back.  I have erased my PM's since this and have lost his contact number.  Maybe he will see this.

Thanks everyone.

-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

JaDub

Greg,   Thanks for your reply.  I tried to send you a PM but there was a problem with your e-mail address.  I wish I had a bigger budget but alas, the truth be known,  I might have been dreaming.  Your price on that sweet gun is definatly NOT out of line.  Sadly I have a Fiat budget and can`t quite get to your Ferrari.  Bummer!  

I`ll try not to look at that picture any more.................    :no:

I`ll pass the word for you !!    JaDub

JaDub

Ok, pluses and minuses..........

please rate in simple terms the differences in these calibers........

range   kick    suitability for varmints  ammo availability  etc.

OR other recommendations........   I`m not trying to make this difficult,  just want to hear your opinions.

Thanks, JaDub

JaDub

OK,   I ask too many questions.  Based on the lack of answers I`m assuming that all the listed calibers  have pretty much the same performance and there`s no future in cutting fine hairs.......nuff said.  :bowdown:

recoil junky

Sorry JaDub, I was off somewhere else. :o

They all kick about the same and the effective ranges are about equal. To me the 22 calibers have an advantage on the .204 in the wind and at ranges beyond 300 yards. It seems to me that that little 32 grain pill looses it's poop pretty fast. Now I know you can get heavier bullets for the 204 but then you just as well be shooting a 22 calber anyway.

.204 ammo is probably on the expensive side, but probably more available than the .223 at this point in the presidencey. On the other hand not every store is going to carry .222 ammo, but it might be cheeper than the .204 and more available than the .223 at this time, but finding a rifle, new or used, might be the real issue.

I guess I'd go around the gun shops in your area and see what's available in both ammo and rifles.

If you are going to get into varmint hunting for serious, I'd get a reloading press later as well. Then price and availability isn't an issue.

I've only shot a .204 a couple times but wasn't impressed enough to go buy one, what with already having three .223's a .222, and a .243 that are my dedicated varmint rilfes.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Noyb72

Jumping into this a little late. But it seems to me a good,clean, small ring Mauser with a A&B barrel in 6mm or .257 put in an inexpensive laminate or plastic stock would do on the cheap. You'd have something that could get meat also.

Ron

subsonic

range kick suitability for varmints ammo availability etc.

I don't think there's enough difference between them to argue about when it comes to range (probably around 250-300yds under most circumstances), recoil (not much for any of them) or effect on animals the size of a 'yote and smaller, but the .222 is an older cartridge that isn't that popular anymore, the .204 is a popular recently released caliber, and the .223 is the same thing an M16 can eat, so that can be good or bad depending on how the flow of ammo goes. You will be somewhat limited on ammo choices for the .204 or .222, but the .223 has many more ammo and reloading component choices including less expensive remanufactured ammo for practice and it's available in bulk at a discount - when people aren't hoarding it for their AR15s. :stare:

FWIW, I'd go with a .223 - and just did. But mine was more than you're wanting to spend - I got a Remington R-15.

Accuracy can be a gamble on a factory rifle - used or new. 2 brands with good reputations are Savage and Remington. In your shoes, I'd look real hard for a used Savage .223 with an Accu-trigger. A heavy barrel and laminate stock would be an accuracy bonus - but probably push the budget. That "fancy camo" can be duplicated or even improved upon with some Wal-Mart Krylon camo paint and a little skill - if you like that sort of thing. I really don't think there's anything wrong with a standard finish on a gun unless it is very reflective - see Weatherby and the old Remington BDL stocks....

JaDub

Thanks for your thoughts guys.  I`ve pretty much decided on the .223, it seems to be a no-brainer.  Now I just have to find a good used one.  I`ve seen new guns for around $350 but they all seem to have short barrels ( 23 to 25" ) which to me seems a bit short plus they also have `thin` barrels.  When I mentioned  a `varmint` gun at Cabelas` I just got a blank stare.  ??

I`ll let you know what I find.   JaDub

recoil junky

Good luck Jadub. You'll come up with a nice one yet. I just picked up another reeeeealy nice 788.

RJ

subsonic

I wouldn't worry too much about barrel length for the .223 as long as it's over 20".

The varmints won't be able to see it from that far anyway!

davidlt89

looking forward to seeing your new gun! God Bless

JaDub

Recoil,    I`m convinced you have   A   a BIG basement
                                                    B   a very understanding wife
                                                    C   a mustang that understands  it`s not  #1   8-)

Tags: