Spotlighting for foxes

Started by branxhunter, April 24, 2019, 03:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

I occasionally head out spotlighting with a fella down the road who has access to many properties in the district.

He can't work due to lingering health issues following 2x surgeries and radiation treatment for a brain tumour, so supplements the family income through shooting. In addition to scalp money some of the landholders pay $20 per fox, some fill his Ute with diesel 2-3 times a year, some buy his ammo (he shoots factory Hornady super performance .204 ammo in his Tilka T3, and the same in his Sako 85 .22-250), some give him a sheep or two per year to hang and butcher, some buy boxes of meat.

He has been getting some impressive hauls in foxes lately - since we went out in late December (we got 7 foxes and a nice little eater fallow) his tally is up around 350. I usually give him the scalps from any foxes I shoot as the are more use to him and his family than me.

We have headed out the last two nights onto some new properties, and after couple of relatively quiet nights the haul of 9 takes Troys tally since the last scalp day 13 days ago to 56. Rifles used were a Sako 85 stainless laminated varmint .22-250 with Nightforce SHV scope, and my Sako L461 .20-222 with Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 scope.

Here is the fist lot of just over 200 scalps from earlier in the year:

[ATTACH]15655[/ATTACH]

Marcus

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: