Vixen.

Started by jaeger88, May 01, 2016, 04:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaeger88

Got a call yesterday afternoon from my Gamekeeper mate, one of the farm  workers had seen a Fox disappear into a hole in the bottom of a  haystack, so he guessed it was looking for a place to cub.

So my  mate decided to call in the top local Fox control operative &  expert.......... but he couldn't make it............. so he got me  instead. :biggthumpup:

So I got my gear together and headed out

Having  no idea where the Fox would be coming from, or if it was already in the  hole in the "stack", I approached from down wind, (not that there was  much wind), & settled into a "tractor" wide gap in the hedge leading  up to the stack. The hedge at this point is a good 15ft wide.

I  got set up sitting behind the rifle, with it on a 25" bi-pod. Id been  there maybe an hour, and seen nothing, when a Blackbird started kicking  up a fuss down the hedge behind me, and was getting closer. Usually  Blackbird,s make a fuss over  Tawny Owl's, but they will mob Foxes as well.

A  few seconds later, a Fox trotted past me on my left, not 10 feet away  & heading towards the stack. It was only in sight for maybe 3  seconds, & there was no way I could get the rifle round into a  shooting position anyway. So I stayed put, in the hope it would show  itself near the stack.
I wasn't disappoint, it crossed the track in front of me about 75yds away.
I gave it a whistle, to get it to stop for a shot, which it did, & I shot it where it stood.
It was a Vixen, & first blood to my Sako 75 .22-250 .

I can now say, in all honesty, I have never missed a Fox with that rifle !.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

gitano

Pretty fox, and nice shot!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

JaDub

sakorick

Sakos never miss so long as the operator does his job......good shot.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

jaeger88

I just like rifles that end in "O" !.

Sako, Krico, Bruno, Steyro Mannlichero. :rolleyes:
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

Tags: