Honey Locust Wood Peppermill

Started by gitano, November 24, 2015, 05:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I've been looking for a 'domestic' hardwood that I could use for the woodworking I do. There are quite a few more than most folks realize, but most of the nicely-figured ones don't grow very large. "Large" like "lumber grade".

Anyway, I ran across a species I had long forgotten about: honey locust (Gleditsia triacanthos). See here Wiki Link for wikipedia description.

And here Pictures of wood for some pictures.

I recently purchased four pieces ($8.25 each), that were 3x3x12 inches with the intent to make pepper mills of them for Christmas gifts to my in-laws. Since I haven't made a pepper mill before, I thought I'd practice on some relatively inexpensive wood that was fairly easy to come by. Here are some pictures of the 'first pass'.

It is about 6" high and fits nicely in the hand. The ceramic grinding mechanism cost about $16 after shipping, and I am very pleased with the initial grind. We'll have to wait a while to see how it lasts.

There wasn't too much to 'learn'. These mechanism are the "new" type that you don't need to glue in. Instead, you press the mechanisms into the body and tabs snap into grooves you cut. I had to make my own groove-cutting tool, but that wasn't too big of a deal. So, most of the task is just boring the different-sized holes: stops, grooves, mating parts, etc. Of course the manufacturers want to sell you four Forstner bits and a special grooving tool. I have plenty of Forstner bits and as I said, I just made my own grooving tool.

The shortness - ~6" - of this mill made it unnecessary to use drill extensions when drilling the through holes. However, for longer mills I'll need to have an extension. I'm not quite finished with the finish on this one. I have to round over the top of the body where you can see some ragged edge. I'm waiting on the finish to dry so I can apply some wax to that surface so the thing doesn't squeak. As it does now, very loudly.

Now that I have one under my belt, I'd estimate the total LATHE and DRILLING time to be about 3 hours. Maybe less. Finishing  - sanding and putting on finish - of course adds considerably to the overall time.

Finally, this wood is 'nice', but nothing particularly spectacular to look at. In such a small piece of work, if you want it to stand out you have to use spectacular wood. By the same token, if it's 'just a utensil', this is a pretty good wood to work.

Paul

PS - I forgot to mention that I had to use my metal lathe for the drilling as I don't have a Jacobs chuck for my wood lathe tail stock. Since I plan to make more of these, AND it's just a good idea to have a Jacobs chuck for my wood lathe, I have purchased one of those too. $26 delivered.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, that's really neat. I never used honey locust for anything but firwood. I don't like messing with anything that's meaner than I am that's not bothering me none. I had a serious accident cutting down a honey locust & probably lucky to be alive. It cost me almost 300 dollars to get patched up. I ciphered it was cheaper not to mess with honey locust again. Another beautiful wood for such things as pepper grinders is persimmon. (Virginia Algonquian pessemmin) Few people realize just how pretty the grain is in persimmon lumber. I always wanted to make a persimmon rifle stock. Big persimmon trees are rare tho. I'm anxious to see more on this. .....Paul H

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul H., you never heard of thornless honey locust?
It exists though the thorny is more common.
I had one on a property at Brazoria TX. that had 5" thorns, with 3" thorns on the sides of the 5" and 1" thorns on the 3"."
Gitano, I do not have any idea where to get some, but black tupelo is a very attractive wood and is very hard.
I have a cutting board that is at least 35 years old and shows very little wear.
The tree gets to 3' or more on the stump, has a very early leaf turn and is very colorful.
I had one at Atanta, TX, over70' high, 60' spread and at least 3'on the stump.
Who provides freight service to Alaska?
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

QuoteWho provides freight service to Alaska?
Who indeed!

I read where people have tried to breed thornless honey locust by using only the seeds from trees without thorns but that seeds from thornless trees still produce trees with thorns. Fortunately for me, I don't have to deal with the thorns when I buy 'processed' lumber. Personally, I don't think they have tried hard enough. Just taking seeds isn't good enough. You have to make sure that the seeds are the product of TWO thornless trees, and even then you have to repeat the process over several generations. That's tough with long-lived things like trees. But... there ain't no free lunches.

Persimmon is a gorgeous wood. But as you mentioned, and like a lot of the fruit-woods, it's tough to find large boards for cabinet work, or thick ones for stocks. It can be done, but you have to look 'hard' for it.

I have heard of tupelo - black, white, etc. - but I have never worked with it. Sakorick recently ran into some on a stock he was refinishing. He wasn't too 'thrilled' with it, but I think it was because it was so hard. I like hard wood.

I tell you what... Alaska has its virtues I suppose, but when it comes to the things I like to do - hunting, woodwork, and growing stuff - it's not the best place to be. If I lived Outside, I'd have jungles on my property; I'd drive half way across the country to hunt; and when I wasn't hunting or planting, I'd be loitering at all the lumber yards.

I'll make another mill with the 'guts' I have in hand, then I'll look for a special piece of wood and make some more from that.

Pictures at ll...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Nice wood Paul and nice pepper mill or grinder as we call it here in OZ.

Didn't know that honey locust also grew here in Oz but according to Wikipedia it's a pest. Nice grain.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

drinksgin (deceased)

The 3 tupelos in Texas are black, water and swamp.
The people I knew in East Texas said there was very little difference in the wood of the 3.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

From what I read, once cut into lumber, it's difficult to tell the tupelos apart.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

So my youngest liked the one above, but said she needed a salt shaker more than a pepper grinder. I told her that I had the guts for a combo and would make her one if she wanted. She said "yes" so here is hers. It's a salt reservoir/shaker on top and a pepper mill/grinder on the bottom.

Natural light:

Flash:

Same specied of wood, but notice that this piece is has coarser grain. This chunk of wood was considerably denser.

Paul

PS - Ordered the Jacobs chuck on 11/22/15. Got it on 11/28/15. That's FAST! Spread the word around if 'you' would that shipping to Alaska using the USPS is NOT "slow" and it's MUCH cheaper than any other method.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Very good Gitano .............................. a bit of practice and you will be even better :laugh: .
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: