Standard Cartridge Series - 7mm STW

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), November 13, 2004, 08:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

This cartridge is one of the reasons that the 7mm Weatherby Magnum might be somewhat obsolescent.  Or maybe not obsolescent so much as being not on the cutting edge for those who prefer the long range cartridges.  When we re-establish the Propietary cartridges it will become even more evident.

Hunterbug

This is one wicked round! It I was looking for a long range deer round this would be at the top of my list. But it does have a healthy appetite for powder.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

deadeye2

Hi again Jay,

The S/T/W is the true 7mm mag. in my opinion.

I hope that a few of you will remenber the pic's that I posted under "What Happed to this Win. Mod. 70"?  It was a great shooting S/T/W that three rounds of  338, 250 gr. Nosler  Part. were fired through it before it blew!

Well, back to the books, Monday and Tuesday are test days for my past year of work!

I am begining wondering if I not a little too old to be a student again!!
Be Safe...Have Fun

deadeye2

NUMBERFARMER

Thank you deadeye for that ominous reminder.  I have carried both a 338 and an STW during elk season. I always try to be careful with shells, but I will be even more careful now that you brought that little item to my attention.  My 7mm STW is a rebored Ruger #1 that was originally in 7 mag.  I use 175 grain Sierra bullets when hunting Elk and 160 grain Sierra bullets when following mule deer.  I really like this caliber, but don't really know why since I don't care to clean guns. One thing is for sure, you really do have to watch the barrel heat, and you need to clean fairly frequently. I shoot groups with this rifle at 300 yards and can put the first three under 2" but shot number four goes another 1.5 inch high and number 5 goes higher yet.  At this point the barrel is hotter than I care to hang on to.  I only tried this once to see how barrel heat would affect accuracy. I must admit that I have truly enjoyed using this caliber both in hunting, and for shooting targets at longer ranges.

kombi1976

Perhaps the 7mm STW really would show it's best in a rifle with a fluted barrel that could really shed the heat quickly. But it does have a reputation as a barrel burner. I have to say, Numberfarmer, that if someone asked me to pick a full bore cal for a long distance cartridge I'd have trouble picking. I'd much rather have a 7mm Mauser or even a .270 WSM that'll reach out and knock down stuff most without knocking me around or conversely have a 9.3x74R or .416 Rigby and keep the shots nice and close. I'm also not in favour of super light rifles, but then I'm 6'2" and weigh 230lbs so a bit of extra load doesn't concern me.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

While I have not owned the 7mm STW, I have it's ballistic equivalent - a Weatherby 300 Mag necked to 7mm. I built that rifle specifically for sheep hunting, after owning and using a 7mm Rem Mag for many years. If you gave me an STW, I'd sell it or re-barrel it. It simply doesn't perform sufficiently better than the 7mm Rem Mag to be worth the bother as far as I'M concerned. I fully realize that there are people for whom this cartridge really "turns the crank". More power to ya and I'd be happy to hunt with you. It's just not for me.

Mine is on a custom thumbhole, and recoil is a non-issue. I shoot 3-shot cloverleafs all day long with 115 grain Speer HPs. Nothing I've shot has failed to die, although I did have to chase a coastal brown bear into the woods at dusk after taking one 175 grain partition through the chest and another in the skull. Half an hour later the took two more shots to dispatch. Prior to that hunt I referred to that rifle as "The Ultimate Weapon". Since that hunt I refer to it as "The Sissy Gun". After that hunt I went a bought a .338 Win Mag, and I 've never looked back.

No doubt, the 7mm STW can "reach out and touch someone". For my two cents worth, there's not a thing the STW can do in the hunting field that the Rem Mag can't do. Spare me the comparison charts - I've owned and shot them both, and I'd have a Rem Mag before I'd have an STW - indistinguishably different performance, 1/3 less powder.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

CAfrica

I have developed a load for my 30-06 as my long range shooter.  I load a 150gr monometal bullet at 3100ft/s.  A 150 monometal bullet is the same size as a 180gr lead core bullet (copper is 14% lighter than lead).  The bullet has a BC of .51.  

The difference in point blank range compared to something like the STW (in factory form) is insignificant and I do this with a lot less powder.  I know of several guys who shoot the 130gr monometal bullet in their 308's at 3200ft/s which puts even this shorty right up there as a long range shooter.

I was seriously considering a "magnum" calibre until I found this solution and now I feel I no longer need a Magnum. Sure you can apply the same principle to a magnum and get even more velocity  (and about 20 Yards extra point blank range) but I don't feel that I want to shoot at longer ranges than the effective range I now get out of my 30-06.

Regards.

C

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

CAfrica,

Good on ya, neighbor! There is only one magnum that I would really consider purchasing and that is a 375 H&H. I owned one once upon a time...pre '64 Model 70..Good memories!

Ol' John...:)
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

CAfrica

A pre-64 375 and you no longer have it?! What a shame. The 375 is just one of those cartridges that "doesn't do it" for me. Now a 9.3x62, that would have me drooling (or even better a 9.3x74 in a single shot or double bbl).

Regards.

C

Hunterbug

Quote from: gitano  After that hunt I went a bought a .338 Win Mag, and I 've never looked back.

Paul
I think that I would have bought my 338 during that hunt, like before going into that thicket after the bear. :D
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: gitanoSpare me the comparison charts.  Paul
Sorry my friend...I'm committed to the concept.  The only other viable altenative is to compile the results of every hunt ever made with the 7mm caliber...qualify, quantify and chart every variable...throw out the 'flukes' or 'mysteries' caused by equipment or product failure...and post the result... resulting in the crashing of the system.  I wouldn't bet that even Deep Blue could do it...assuming you could write the necessary program.

However, in deference to you...we will post the charts in a foreign language so that you will not be unduly offended.:D

gitano

Jay,

You completely misunderstood my comment. I was referring to those that would want to "prove" the superiority of the 7mm STW by presenting copious comparison charts "clearly demonstrating" the ballistic superiority of the STW when compared to any other 7mm. (I've already been shown one.)

I wouldn't ask you to change a single element of your presentations, and in fact, if you didn't have the velocity and energy-with-range charts, I woould ask to see them or provide them myself.

No, my comment was simply an attempt to forego an anticipated onslaught from all those that might have felt I unfairly or inappropriately 'slighted' the STW. For example, I just saw a ballistic comparison chart for the ".22x64" also called the .22 STW (by this particular author), pushing a .22 pill at 4700 f/s. No mention of "efficiency" or "over bore capacity". On hte face of things (without having one to field test), I would start by doubting that it is demonstrably different than the Swift or even my .22/.30-30AI. That opinion however, would certainly fly in the face of a "comparison chart".

By all means, please keep at it. I'll try make the intent and audience clearer with respect to my comments.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Yikes!  My feeble attempt at humor has backfired once again.  Yes, that's me standing there with all my facial hair burnt off.:confused:

I don't even know a foreign langauage...except, maybe, pig-latin.:o

CAfrica

Jay,

I can assist here, I'll translate the tables into Afrikaans for you. Then the two of us can proove conclusively that the 7mm STW is BETTER and nobody else will be any wiser!!

C

Tags: