fox

Started by nixy, July 15, 2009, 05:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nixy

anyone here work fox, not too sure if this is more of an american site like. Suppose I'll start, i work fox with terriers do cover aswell with hounds and lamp foxes too. But my main thing is digging. At the minute I have an 11 month old red patterdale B**ch (only getting back on my feet lost everything for a while) she showing great signs nice and keen i have let her have a rag on top but hopefully she will be ready for the boxing day hunt thats when am hoping to let her go and have her first dig she'll be round 16/17 months then, and it will be a handy one for obvious reasons.

davidlt89

first, glad to see you are getting back on your feet!
QuoteBut my main thing is digging.
I am going to have to claim ignorance, could you explain this a little. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

nixy

no problem lad. I go out with the terriers and do sets by this i mean i check foxes burrows and if the dog goes to ground ie it enters then that usally means somthing is home so we wait for the terrier to bottle the fox up; ie he drives the fox to a deadend in the burrow so the fox has nowhere to go. then we get a reading from the terrier locator on the dogs collor and then dig down to the dog and fox, when you break through them on top of the dog you lift the dog out back fill the hole so the fox cant bolt back to ground and dispatch the fox quickly, then fill the hole in again for another dig from it at a later date, hope this helps. We also go out with the huonds and they run a fox out of woods and cover either to the guns or the lurchers but sometimes a fox will go to ground then the terriers are used again. To be honest i think there is nothing like listening to a dog work to ground and when you break through thats something altogether differant great buzz and good exercise too lol. hope this helps abit

jane09

hi,i do a bit of fox hunting,with permission of course here in the u.k. i use staffordshire bull terriers.Dont like digging though,have seen some dogs hurt when comming back out of a hole,usual thing i do is get them whilst there in the bush,or out feeding at night with the lamp.Lost recently a good lurcher to a male fox,the fox made a mess of its leg and the vet wanted to remove the leg but i had the poor dog put to sleep didnt think it was fair on the dog as all it knew was hunting.I always carry my gun with me as the dogs can take a bit of time killing the fox out right,my motto is dont waste the dog when another fox is over the hill.I get paid on the amount of foxes we kill so quick and fast and onto the other.But at the minute i am having problems with a wise little female,been after her for over a week now.She is too smart but her day is near lol.Put the car lights on her the other night whilst she was sat near some horn thorn bushes,she disappeared,didnt have a chance even to let the ***** out of the back.So put the head lights out for 5 minutes,put them back on no sign of her so thought well its a wasted night.Got out to have a look around with out the dogs,heard the dogs going mad in the back seat so turned around to see what was to do,laugh if you must,there about 100 yards away sitting was the fox looking directly at the dogs in the back.Kicked myself silly as i had left the rifle in the car.But i think this girl is for the dogs they been teased enogh her night will come.:greentongue:

gitano

Very interesting hunting. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Some of your dogs would be a good start.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

LvrLover

We run fox and coyote with hounds here in Wisconsin, but no one I know is into terriers or digging. Usually walkers, redbones, and sometimes beagles mixes for fox here.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Tags: