ood as a 30-30
1 (10%)
etter than a 30-30
9 (90%)
ot adequate for anything past 50 yards
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

RatherBHuntin

I have been telling myself (I won't say the voices in my head, don't want anyone coming to get my guns) that I need a lever gun in something that packs more of a whomp than my 30-30.  I'm a big fan of whomp, and more importantly, things that get whomped aren't fans of it.  I finally found a Marlin 336 chambered in .35 REM and am seriously considering getting it.  Of course I just bought a pistol, so the gun fund is depleted, and saw another gun that probably would get more use that was a good deal too, so I have some decisions to make and need the help of the combined forum.  

How well do you guys rate the .35 REM for a close in Southeast whitetail/ pig cartidge.  We're talking close in 25-100 yards on the outside.  Most likely 25-50 yards.  I think it would be just about tops in my book.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

WAY better than a .30-30. I like .30-30s, but the .35 Rem is, in my opinion, head and shoulders above the .30-30 Win.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

A Marlin 336 in 35 Rem? That would be sweet, if I could get one in OZ!

A 200gn round nose projectile at moderate velocity, easy on the shoulder and on the ears.:biggthumpup:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Nelsdou

I don't have one, so excuse my not voting, but I am also very interested in this cartridge.

I've been using Quickload to examine cartridges that exhibit efficiency in shooting both jacketed and cast and the 35 Rem is one of them.  I've also been goofing around with a spare Carcano action "project" that feeds and cycles the 35 Rem just swell as the 7.35x51 and the 35 Rem are close dimensionally.  

If ya google Ranchdog, you'll find he markets a 35 cast bullet mould specifically to fit the Marlin throat. Looks like a killer!

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

RatherBHuntin

very interesting Nels, I will keep this in mind
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

RatherBHuntin

I went and brought it home yesterday.  Needs a good cleaning and that's it.  Gonna be my dedicated brush gun.  I went ahead and put a Savage Model 10 in .243 with Accutrigger and cheapo scope on layaway as well, cause it was a good deal.  I don't really need it, but my boy is shooting a Handi Youth Model in 243 and HOPEFULLY someday will outgrow it.  When he does he will have a rifle in the same caliber  that fits better, should be a tackdriver and will last him the rest of his life.  The Handi is borrowed from his cousin, so this will be his fiirst very own gun....not counting thered rider and the  .410 he claims to have won off me with a bet.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

Daryl (deceased)

QuoteI went ahead and put a Savage Model 10 in .243 with Accutrigger and cheapo scope on layaway as well, cause it was a good deal. I don't really need it,

Whoa!   Hold on...

When did need start having something to do with it?  WANT is sufficient, especially when accompanied by "a good deal".

:D

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

davidlt89

QuoteI went ahead and put a Savage Model 10 in .243 with Accutrigger and cheapo scope on layaway as well, cause it was a good deal. I don't really need it, but my boy is shooting a Handi Youth Model in 243 and HOPEFULLY someday will outgrow it. When he does he will have a rifle in the same caliber that fits better, should be a tackdriver and will last him the rest of his life.
Way to be thinking Glenn!!! I went and put some money down on my mossberg 100 ATR in .243 yesterday. I thought I would be able to bring it home and show my son, but I guess you need all the money there first! Anyway, there is no doubt that when my boy is 10 this gun will fit him. I am very impressed with this firearm and I got it under 400.00 with tax! It also fits me! now to see how it shoots.
As far as the .35 remington, I have only seen the shell for it and never fired it. I have used the 30-30 though and just sold one the other day. I would vote if I had any knowlegde. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

RatherBHuntin

Well need is important.  For instance the need to satisfy itches.  The need to get it while you can.  The need to save a few bucks by getting deals when you can.  Need is nearly as important as is justifying that need.  The brush gun is also my hog gun, mind you we don't have any hogs at camp....but we might some day!  If folks try hard enough they can see that they need lots of stuff.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: RatherBHuntin;91573Well need is important. For instance the need to satisfy itches. The need to get it while you can. The need to save a few bucks by getting deals when you can. Need is nearly as important as is justifying that need. The brush gun is also my hog gun, mind you we don't have any hogs at camp....but we might some day! If folks try hard enough they can see that they need lots of stuff.

Ok, that's better.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

22hornet

Quote from: Daryl;91569Whoa! Hold on...

When did need start having something to do with it? WANT is sufficient, especially when accompanied by "a good deal".

Daryl

"Need" and "want" are all well and good but I need approval from the Minister of Finance before I buy any rifles.

I must remind myself to never, ever take my daughter to a gun show.
" Now Emily, don't say anything to mum untill I talk to her first, OK"
"Ok I won't say anything"
We get home.
"Mummy look what we bought":frown

Sorry to get off topic.

Both good buys.:biggthumpup:  You can't really go wrong with a .243 for a young boy, and the Savage is a good rifle too.

As for your Marlin, I'm guessing that the .35 Rem is very popular in the US. When is the first range report? And pics of the rifle and cartridge too please.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

RatherBHuntin

Actually the 35 Rem isn't very popular at all, it took me about two years to find one I think.  They are only found in lever guns as far as I know, and the 30-30 probably outnumber 35s by at least 20 to 1.  I would go as far as to say that in 5 years I probably have only seen a couple of them.  In this case it was easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission....and besides, it was for the kids!  She really does understand my weekness and "knew" I was getting one before I did.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: Gleen I had one back in the 80's........ammo was not hard to get because a numbers of the old Rem auto's in 35 Rem were still being used around those parts.... it's very good for the heavy woods........I let mine go just because I not not like the looks of the Marlin 336... Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Nelsdou

I found ammo easy enough at a local shop when I started looking at it for a "project".

On the right is a 35 Rem with 150 grain corelok; the left is a Carcano 6.5x52 necked up to 35.  I found the 35 Rem fits the Carcano bolt face and feeds with no problems.

Anyway, the 35 Rem has a good amount of punch; I think it be a dandy in a bolt or a lever action.  Most of the load data I see is for 20 inch barrels.  I take it that is typical for the Marlin?

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

gitano

Quotethe left is a Carcano 6.5x52 necked up to 35. I found the 35 Rem fits the Carcano bolt face and feeds with no problems.
Cool! That would be cause enough for me to get a Carcano. :D Did you get a reamer to make the .35 Carcano?[/SIZE]

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: