rowning
6 (12.2%)
emington
23 (46.9%)
ako
12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

sniper124

What brand of rifle what you consider to be the best all around not thinkng in terms of calibers but in construction, accuracy, reliabilty, durability and portability. Price is not in question. Here are the four Bolt action center fire rifles in question.

Winchester Model 70

Browning A Bolt

Remington 700

Ruger M77

Daryl (deceased)

Quite honestly, they're all good choices.  If I were deciding for myself, a lot would rest on which particular model I was looking at, and which one fit and appealed to me the best.

I've never owned a Sako, but I know from others who have that they're quality firearms.

I've owned several of each of the others (still own some of them), and never had a problem with any of them.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

steve

ive never owned any of the mentioned rifles but i own several remington and planning on geting another one this spring.  i swear buy remington.  i will buy aother types if i like them and the price is right but remington is my rifle of choice.

buckshot roberts

:D the older model winchester model 70's, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

M1Garand

Jeez this is like asking if Ford is better that Chevy or Dodge. Going off the choices you listed and not the ones in the poll, I don't know if I can answer which is better because I think they are all good rifles and probably boils down more to preference than anything else. Sakos...well, I'm sure Sakorick will throw in his two cents on them;) .

Jay Edward (deceased)

Wellll... I prefer the Remington safety over the Wichester and Ruger.  I own a nice Ruger and the introduction of the Model 77 sure got the others motivated.  

I've never been quite satisfied on the relative proportions of the bolt on the Sako.  I've built a number of rifles on Sako actions but that was at the customer's specific request.

With the Winchester I'm neither hot nor cold.  I suppose that's the problem.  There isn't that special connection with any particular Winchester.

The Browning stock finish leaves me cold.

My great love (in bolt actions) is the Mauser followed by the 'altered'  '17 Enfield and the Springfield.  Since you didn't make those available to vote on... I opted for the obvious.

I would venture to guess that all of the manufacturers  make good rifles and bad.  And that the users of all the different brands have good days and bad.

I have found that I have never met a man who owned a Ford and hated Fords.

Daryl (deceased)

QuoteI have found that I have never met a man who owned a Ford and hated Fords.

I have!

;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

gitano

Of those listed, I s'pose I'd choose the Remington. Neither Browning or Sako ever "got to me" emotionally, and you gotta go a long way back for me to like a Winchester enough to put out cash over one of the other choices. Apparently I'm not alone in that sentiment. However, Ruger tops my personal list for over-the-counter rifles.

Paul

PS - And who might that be Daryl ;)
Be nicer than necessary.

Daryl (deceased)

Paul,

A buddy of mine, Mark, had some problems with several Fords.  He still drives one, but didn't like them much for a while.

My dad owned Fords for many years (like 30+ years).  He now owns one that he's trying to sell (f250 Super Duty/Diesel), but drives a Chevy.  Too many problems in the past with the Ford he has now.

Another friend, Ken, is about to switch to another brand of truck.  He's cussing Fords pretty bad these days, since his won't run for more than a week at a time.

Not saying that they're bad trucks; just saying some drive them and don't much care for the quality they've been putting out lately.

;)

Daryl

RIP Linden33

gitano

I thought you were talkin' about me. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Daryl (deceased)

RIP Linden33

Coalman

A Texan rancher told an Ohioan that he could get in his Ford truck and drive all day and not leave his ranch. The Ohioan said Yea I had a Ford like that.

gunman

Sav... Sav.. Savage! sorry it's just kinda hard to get that out :D
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms ..." Richard Henry Lee.

rockinbbar

Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Brithunter

Well as I don't really like mu ch any of the choices :p  as those regulars know I like older firearms :D  so I carry on looking out for them. Either Parker-Hale of my first preference BSA :D . Although I have said it before and will say it again I do rather fancy a Remington Model 30 or 30S I know sad is it not :o . Of cousre a nice original Obendorf would not be turned down ;) .
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: