Previous topic - Next topic

Worth it?

ea
10 (90.9%)
ah
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

mtsharps

My son shoots a H&R single shot  in 30-06 and he loves it he has other gun but for hunting it the one he takes shoots  good groups got it used for  $150 with scope

Stryker

Quote from: Lost HuntaWhat kind of 100yrd groups? with surplus and factory.
I haven't shot any factory yet. The surplus I was shooting, I kept in the black at 75 yds, all offhand. I would imagine you could get some pretty tight groups if you bench shot. I bought mine for hunting, so 3" groups from a standing position at 75 to 100yrds is plenty for me. Where I hunt it's so thick, 70 yds is about the furthest you can shoot.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

Lost Hunta

Dang good groups 3" would be plenty for me as well, then add on factory/match ammo and a good rest would likely turn over nice groups.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Lost Hunta

one of my fiends who works at a gun store is selling a H&R ultra .308 for $190 new. Can i do better?
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Stryker

Quote from: Lost Huntaone of my fiends who works at a gun store is selling a H&R ultra .308 for $190 new. Can i do better?
New or Used? I've seen used go for $175 to $225. If it's in good shape, $190 is a fair price.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."

Lost Hunta

Quote from: Lost Huntaone of my fiends who works at a gun store is selling a H&R ultra .308 for $190 new. Can i do better?
Did you not see this? its says new in red.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Stryker

Quote from: Lost HuntaDid you not see this? its says new in red.
Must not have had my reading glasses on when I replied. :cool:
- Mark

Antler3

Can't beat an ol' iron sighted win.94 30-30 fer these hills I hunt in. Good ol' guns. I use mossberg 12 gauge 3 inch fer turkey. Good huntin' ya'll
ANTLER 3

Antler3

Guys ya just can't beat the winchester model 94 30-30 for close shots. here in these hills where I hunt I usually don't get to many shots over 50 -60 yards. I really like the old model 94 it has served me well. Good luck to ya'll hope you get a biggun' !
ANTLER 3

Stryker

Quote from: Antler3Guys ya just can't beat the winchester model 94 30-30 for close shots. here in these hills where I hunt I usually don't get to many shots over 50 -60 yards. I really like the old model 94 it has served me well. Good luck to ya'll hope you get a biggun' !
Antler,
I have to agree on the Winchester 94. I love mine, but mine is chambered in .357 Magnum. Where I hunt, the maximum range doesn't get much over 70 yards with 40 yards being the norm. Here's a pic of the buck I took last year with it.
- Mark

Antler3

Nice buck !!  Hope you get another one this year.
ANTLER 3

Lost Hunta

I just found a vs thing between a H&R Ultra Hunter .25-06 vs. a a a a AHHHHHH rot! i can't remember the name but anyway with Federal ammo it shot sub MOA at 100yrds. this just further stregthens my desire for this rifle. and the price diff was litterally like 8 grand
"Cari" my M4 carbine

grandpa

Several years ago a friend of mine picked up a .223 for his youngest boy. It had such a rough bore it would foul after only a few shots until we lapped the bore with a lead slug. Quality could have changed but the old addage, "You get what you pay for!" is still an operative phrase.

Stryker

Took my .308 handi-rifle out yesterday and filled my tag, both buck and doe, in less than twenty minutes. I'll post some pics after I get them developed. I've done a lot of target shooting with it, but this is the first time hunting with it. A lot of guys hunt with them in this area. Most opt for the .243, which is a very popular round. I prefer .308 or 30-06. Not for stopping power or distance, a .243 has those qualities as well. I like the fact I can buy surplus military ammo dirt cheap and shoot 150 rounds for about the same cost as a 20rd box of .243's. I will definately be taking it out again this week to try my luck with my bonus doe tags. One more deer should just about fill my freezer.

I also ran into a budy of mine who was carring and Rossi single shot. I knew Mossberg made them, but not Rossi. Overall it looked like a nice gun. It was actually a little cheaper than my handi-rifle and it came with 2 barrels. MSRP $231 for a .243/12 gauge combination. They call it the matched pair Rifle and it comes in full sized centerfire or Rimfire and youth centerfire or rimfire. It looked nice and he said it shot nice. But I had 2 deer in truck and he had none. :D . I looked them up and here's the website for those interested. The youth .22/.410 combo has an MSRP of $152. I may check into that. I could get both my kids their very own rfile/shotgun, both for about $300! That is very reasonable in my book.

http://www.rossiusa.com/products/products-matchedpairs.cfm
- Mark

rockinbbar

Congrats on the deer & good hunt, Stryker!

Look forwrd to the pics. Tell us the stoty too...

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Tags: