European Cartridge Series - 6.5x68mm RWS

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), January 09, 2006, 06:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

This cartridge is really kind of interesting.  

The powder listed is 4831 and I can't quite help but wonder what newer powders might raise the velocity level to.

The 140 grain bullet smokin' along at almost 3000 fps seems to be in the Dreadnaught and Scramjet catagory.

Gmoney

Wow.....93 grains at almost 4,000.....ouch for whatever gets in the way of that!!!
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Hunterbug

That's a pretty screaming round. How long untill LlanoJohn builds one? :D
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: HunterbugThat's a pretty screaming round. How long untill LlanoJohn builds one? :D
H'bug,

The only thing I like about that particular cartridge is the caliber...6.5!

There are too many negatives on the cartridge design.....I would have to change just about everything about it!  Besides I couldn't possibly afford even the brass!

Now if I win the lottery....well....thats a different story!:D

Ol' John:( ;)
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

klallen

I thought you were into those sleek, non-belted looks, HONDO?  Maybe that was Mr. EDWARDS.  But being a 6.5 number, I figured you'd be all over this one like white on rice.

The case for this cartridge has been on the radar for a long, long time with me.  It's the base for a wildcat cartridge that caught my attention some time back and hasn't really ever let go.  The taper is drastic and screams to be blown out and that's exactly what the .257 Banshee does.  I had one of the cases sent to me from a foreign friend off another site just for reference sake.  Was really reving the engines up for a rifle chambered for this round (Banshee) and then the RUM line took off.  In the end, hard decisions had to be made about cost.  Trying to get a supply of  RWS cases to feed the round just didn't make it viable when you could take cheaper RUM cases and form them into several case configuration and have an alternative, higher performing round.  I still get the urge for a Banshee every now and then but have resisted the temptation so far.  Later.  >>  klallen

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: klallenI thought you were into those sleek, non-belted looks, HONDO? Maybe that was Mr. EDWARDS. But being a 6.5 number, I figured you'd be all over this one like white on rice.  No, it was me!

The case for this cartridge has been on the radar for a long, long time with me. It's the base for a wildcat cartridge that caught my attention some time back and hasn't really ever let go. The taper is drastic and screams to be blown out and that's exactly what the .257 Banshee does.  Yes indeed, minimum body taper and an Ackley 40* shoulder would improve it tremendously!   I had one of the cases sent to me from a foreign friend off another site just for reference sake. Was really reving the engines up for a rifle chambered for this round (Banshee) and then the RUM line took off. In the end, hard decisions had to be made about cost.  My point exactly!  Trying to get a supply of RWS cases to feed the round just didn't make it viable when you could take cheaper RUM cases and form them into several case configuration and have an alternative, higher performing round. We are definitely on the same page here, my friend! I still get the urge for a Banshee every now and then but have resisted the temptation so far. Later. >> klallen
A case of that size deserves the l-o-o-n-g 6.5 match bullets ( like the ones from WILDCAT BULLETS from Canada) and the RUM cases would be much more desireable from a cost/availability standpoint!  Would make an excellent 1,000 yard bench gun.  It would be very interesting!

Good to hear from ya, amigo!

Ol' John..:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

klallen

Yeah, even though it's a stellar performer, cost wise, the 6.5x68rws would be kinda silly to get into for us on this side of the ocean with our own "king of antelope cartridges" ( i.e. the .264 WinMag ) readily available.  Been waiting for Winchester to work a 6.5 WSM into their flock of short magnum cartridges and give the WinMag a run for it's money.  Would be a good one, if you were in to that sort of thing.  Probably come out with a 6.5 WSSM insteat and tick off everyone who might have wanted the WSM real good.

You been working a lot with Richards bullets?  I don't own anything yet where they'd be appropriate.  I gave his 130's a run in my Savage .25-06 hoping they'd stabalize with the factory twist.  Accuracy wasn't bad ( 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" @ 100 ) but I do expect a lot more out of Savage rifles.  I'll be going back to the 110 AccuBond and hope for substantially better then moa.  Kirby's finishing up my .338 Kahn and throating it in anticipation of Richard getting tooled up and producing his 350 gr. .338 bullets.  Should be delivered later this year.  Can't wait to see that bullet and very much looking forward to start working with that rifle.  Take care.  >>  klallen

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: klallenYeah, even though it's a stellar performer, cost wise, the 6.5x68rws would be kinda silly to get into for us on this side of the ocean with our own "king of antelope cartridges" ( i.e. the .264 WinMag ) readily available.Oh, please save me! Been waiting for Winchester to work a 6.5 WSM into their flock of short magnum cartridges and give the WinMag a run for it's money. Would be a good one, if you were in to that sort of thing. Probably come out with a 6.5 WSSM insteat and tick off everyone who might have wanted the WSM real good.

You been working a lot with Richards bullets? I haven't done any load work with his bullets yet....Anticipating my 6.5-06 AI... the real "KING OF THE ANTELOPE CARTRIDGES!" hehehe!  That 6.5..120gr RBBBT has sure struck my fancy! I don't own anything yet where they'd be appropriate. I gave his 130's a run in my Savage .25-06 hoping they'd stabalize with the factory twist. Accuracy wasn't bad ( 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" @ 100 ) That is most surprising considering the 1 in 10" twist...I would consider that "outstanding" accuracy! but I do expect a lot more out of Savage rifles. I'll be going back to the 110 AccuBond and hope for substantially better then moa. Kirby's finishing up my .338 Kahn and throating it in anticipation of Richard getting tooled up and producing his 350 gr. .338 bullets. 350 grain bullets..???? Are you sure that is not a misprint??  A bullet of that grain weight must be at least a "foot long"!   If it not a "foot long"...what twist are your using on that barrel????:confused:  
Should be delivered later this year. Can't wait to see that bullet and very much looking forward to start working with that rifle. Take care. >> klallen
Kory,
I sure hope my finances will hold out for my trip to Montana this coming September............yowie!  If they do hold out I am really looking forward to meeting both you and your brother.............:D

You guys have got to be as "crazy" (in the good sense of the word) as I am..........I just prefer the 6.5 caliber.

Happy 2006, my friend!

Ol' John (still at play in the fields of the bewildered!!!!!):D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

klallen

lol.  Nope, not a misprint with the 350's.  I know I'm going to be explaining this wrong so bear with me but, from my understanding, these bullets are going to be rebated at the ogive, as well as the standard rebated boattail at the rears.  My rifle is currently being throated so that the 300 gr. wildcats will be seated to the base of the neck and when these 350's actually hit production mode, I should be able to use them without sacrificing much in the way of lost case capacity, because of the rebated front, much more of the bullet will be inside the barrel (touching nothing) rather then protruding down into the case.  With this kind of construction, this 350 gr. bullet shouldn't have all that much more bearing surface then the 300's.  We shall see.  Richard's really doing some interesting things with his bullet weights and designs and these 350's in .338 caliber are just the tip of the iceburg.  BC should be through the roof with them.  Be interesting to see what kind of velocity that big Wby Mag case will be able to push them at.  It'll just be an experimental thing and if they don't work I'll drop back to the 300's and run those buggers as fast as I can.  Kirby was getting some nice velocities with his .338 Kahn and the 300's, so with my barrel being 2" longer, if that's the bullet I have to stay with, I'll be happy.

Keep us updated on the fall plans.

Hoping the best for you and your family in this new year, as well.  Take care.  >>  korey

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

klallen,

The long range varmint/critter getter I envision is the 6.5-06 Ackley Improved with a 28" stainless steel and about .800 at muzzle.  I want Dan Pederson to make the barrel and I will be using a '03 Springfield action I have available with a Canjar Single-set trigger.  I know that is not the best action (lock-time) but it needs to be used.  Since Dan uses the ol' "cut rifle" system in making his barrels we can determine the twist necessary and and cut it accordingly.  He can also bore undersize and cut the rifling to any depth we determine.  I am thinking along the lines of how the International Palma barrel are bored undersize and the rifling undersize. (bore .299 - groove .3075).  As I understand it(?), this ensures the 155gr Sierra Palma bullet going thru this undersize bore does not allow gas cutting due to the BT bullet and increases pressure with a lighter powder load(moly bullets, BTW) and helps the StD is be at the minimums!  As you are aware, its takes some doing using the .308 case and the 155gr Sierra Palma bullets to be able to stay super/trans sonic to 1,000 yards.  Dan is a superb barrel maker and I am looking forward to meeting him in March if at all possible.  This is all at the initial planning stage so it may come to a decison to change direction and possibly a "no-go"!:frown

Time will tell..........and a lot depends on my pocketbook!:(

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ol' John;)
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

CAfrica

Interesting cartridge Jay.  RWS launched something very similar called the 6.5X65 in the late 80's.  Factory claims had the 108gr bullet leaving the bbl at 3500ft/s.

In my 6.5-06 I launch 140gr Noslers at 3000ft/s (and that is with local jungle powders) so those velocities seem achieveable.

Regards.

C

Tags: