Parker Hale unveiled

Started by sakorick, June 03, 2005, 06:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hi cowboy,

Well I have just been looking at photos of a couple of my P-H rifles. The 1100 Deluxe in .30-06 has the Recoil bolt as does my 1200 Super in 7.92mm but the 1200V in 6mm Rem does not. I can only draw the conclusion from this that the heavier cartridges get the recoil bolt whilst the lighter cartridges do not ;) .

The P-H stuff was auctioned off so it got pretty much split up. However one or two places did buy quite a stock. I am waiting to here from a guy called Bill about a stock for a P-H as I know they brought up a largish quantity of P-H stuff and this Bill worked there for 25 years or so.

Now what cartridge do you want a magazine for?

Although I cannot promise results. I will keep my ears and eyes open for you :p .

Now as to the recoil pads and the stocks shrinking :confused: I think it must be the heat and dryness. As I have not seen the problems here although the oldest P-H rifle I have is 1970 unlike the BSA's which go back to 1951 ish and 1959 for certain ;) . The 1959 vintage one is the Majestic Featherweight Deluxe which chambered in 270 Win weighs 6 1/4lbs. The stock is fine as is the bedding ;) .
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Greetings Cowboy and hello all. PH, Cowboy is right on in regards to the shrinking problem and the bedding issues. The 1968 versionI have has not demonstrated these problems, however, the PH stock I am currently working on has been a chore to say the least. Also, the pad on the stock I'm working on has been changed which probably means it was crushed. The pad on my '06 is in excellent condition. Sako also had a problem with their pads crushing on the old Bofors guns. I store all mine (with pads)upsidedown in the safe. I'm not sure where they got the wood but it is definitely European and all the older Supers had the blonde colored stocks ala Sako Deluxe. The trigger I got from England looks just like the pics above except it has a conventional curve as does my Super which is gold.

I am having some problems with the rosewood taking tru oil as the stock was very very dry. I also had cracks at the rear of the action which was repaired when I bedded the thing. I suspect the stock had a large caliber of some sort most of it's life. I plan on getting the thing together soon for test firing.....the caliber by the way is 6mm-284 on a Mod98 action, PH trigger, Wilson barrel, Pachmayr pad, skipline checkering etc. Here is a pic of the work in progress. Notice, I added a shadow line to the cheek piece which took about 2 days but was worth the effort. I also floated the barrel and added the standard Mauser rear screw Pilar which should fix any future cracking problems. This stock did not have the pilar installed! Many Mausers converted to a sporter did not include the pilar....bad mistake! Regards, Rick
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

cowboy

Hello all,

Brithunter, I would be interested in a trigger guard/magazines in 300 Win Mag which should be the same length as 30-06. As you know most of the 1200 supers had a aluminum magazine which was anodized black. They turn almost purple over time. I have posted an image of a PH part which fits but is in steel.

http://www.fsbore.com/942120.jpg

I also would be interested in any rollover 1200 stocks in usable/repairable condition. :)

Sakorick, I know what you mean about finishing those rosewood tips. I have tried several things to fix the problem. Try wiping them with laquer thinner and immediatly after drying apply the oil. Be careful not to let any touch the whiteline spacer as it will melt, The problem with rosewood is it is so oily to begin with. You could also try applying something else first to fill in what few pores this wood has such as epoxy thinned 50% with mineral spirits and letting it soak in. After drying sand to finish level and apply the oil. I use acraglas original, the thin kind.

All the best,

Cowboy

PS here is a photo of my father with a PH 300 Win mag and his Elk from 2 yrs ago. You can see the blonde stock.

http://www.fsbore.com/elk3.jpg

Mauserfan in TX

Well There Cowboy, I bet your dad was a pretty happy camper that day.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

cowboy

Mauserfan,

At 82 he was like a kid at Christmas! :)

All the best,

Cowboy

Brithunter

Hi Guys,

My thoughts on the light colured wood is that it was related to price. The darker wood being more popular in the US was priced a little higher and the US makers having more volume got the better deal. It was that or either that the buyer at P-H liked the light colured wood? We will likely never know the truth of the matter.

Now have either of you come across the Parker-Hale M81 Classic model? As it suggests it was introduced in 1981 and had better Selected Walnut which was much .................... much better figured that the normal P-H stocks. It had no Rose wood tip and a more rounded stock shape :) . It came in Magnum claibres as well. I looked at a M81 Classic in 7mm Rem Mag but brought the Ruger No1 in .300WM instead at that time as it was the same price but had a Leupold 2.5-8 Vari X111 scope on it. That scope is now on the P-H 1200 Super 7.92mm :D .

This is another model that I will try to get one day ;) .

Now I have not come across the pad problem and just pulling the stock off my 1100 Deluxe in 30-06 it has the rear steel stock piller ;) I think if it's missing it was lost by some previous owner :rolleyes: . The 30-06 mag and trigger guard is marker 98/124 and is alloy. The one on my 1100m is steel and a trye magnum langth but not having it t hand I cannot tell you the part number.

Ahh I read somewhere that Rosewood has a natural Oil in it which prevents the drying of other finishes. To get around it the Rosewood needs to be sealed but something like a synthetic varnish or the clear part of the bedding compoud. when dry it's sanded back leaving the pores filled then the finish is applied to the whole stock. This came from the NRA Gunsmithing guide if I remember correctly.
Go Get them Floyd!

cowboy

Hello all,

I have not seen any really dark walnut on any PH, only some that were darker than what they normally have.

Brithunter, it sounds like the magazine that fits your 1100m if it's steel, not cast,would be just what I'm looking for if you can get it over there. :)

Please let me know.

All the best,

Cowboy

Big Banger

Hi Cowboy,
The stock on my PH 1200P is darker than most PH rifles, it is apparently deluxe French walnut. Does your 300 magnum have a dark stock?
Mat  

cowboy

hello all,

I have 2 1200s that have fairly dark stocks. One is a presentation model and the other is a 1200 super.

This is the presentation model and the original photo from the guy I bought it from. It's actually a bit darker than this photo shows in this red background. Hope you can see the photo as I'm trying this attachment function here.

All the best,

cowboy

Big Banger

Nice rifle Cowboy! The rosewood appears to be rather light compared to the walnut, looks good! Have you seen many Presentation models in your area? I have only seen two so far here in Canada.
Mat

sakorick

Hey Cowboy, is that an old Redfield 3-9 on your PH? Nice looking rig. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

cowboy

Hello all,

I haven't seen but a couple of presentation models and only one in 300 win mag.... so I bought it.

The photo is the original one that the guy I bought it from sent me. I made a deal for the rifle without the scope on it because I didn't need the scope at the time. But yes. it was an old Redfield.

Since I bought it I have replaced the red recoil pad which was solid rubber by the way and very heavy. Cut 3/8" off the stockand replaced with a black Decelerator and no white line spacer. So far thats as far as I have gone with this one. I need to finish another 1200 Super which is down to doing the final sanding and finish before it's done. I'm a little behind but I like doing the work and you can't hurry anyway.

This presentation model does have rosewood that is lighter than usual on it and it almost seems like someone matched it up to the stock wood at the factory. It really is nice and the photo does not do it justice. I'm really looking forward to refinishing this one, it should be really nice. The engraving on it is really nice too.

Brithunter

Hi All,

Rosewood varies in it's colouration almost as much as walnut does :rolleyes: . I will have to photograph my 1100M as it has a dark reddish coloured stock ;) ;) .

Now to make you guys weep. The only 1200P I ahve seen is one that an older guy at the club recently broung and it shooting the heck out of. As it wanders off target as he shoots it like a darned machine gun (yep a box of 20 last about 5 minutes at most) the POI wanders up the target due to severe heat built up. It's a 30-06 and he is using some steel cases stuff which has a huge ball of flame at the muzzle so he is going to have the barrel choped and threaded for a sound moderator (silencer) :( :confused: .

I will try and suggest that he sell it and get a heavy barreled model of something to shoot the heck out of, but I don't hold mush hope as he appears to be a bit of a pratt :rolleyes: . He didn't pay an awful lot for it but I cannot afford to offer to buy it off him as I have no money to do so :o .

Ahh talking of older scopes I just got my Birthday present. We picked it up on Saturday, it's a Pecar Berlin Champion 4x35 scope. Photos once I can get round to them ;) . It should compliment a P-H or period BSA well. P-H especially as they of course were the importers and agents for pecar :p .
Go Get them Floyd!

Big Banger

Well Brithunter you didn't make me weep but i'm still shaking my head! :frown

Jay Edward (deceased)

I went and captured a picture of the Percar Berlin scope for all those who are interested in BH's birthday present.

Tags: