"McLEODS DAUGHTERS" your thoughts please

Started by LLANOJOHN (deceased), October 12, 2010, 05:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

My "Aussie" and "New Zealand" THL friends,

This particular thread has not much to do about hunting "down under"......it has to do with an 8 year series produced and filmed in Australia concerning folks living on the land in Australia with cattle and sheep.  

I first saw one of the episodes about 2002 and was greatly impressed with the story and the beautiful contry where it was filmed.  My number of years working for a major airline and meeting folks from AU and NZ prompted me to watch this particular television episonde with much interest.   I was born and raised in the city but had many experinces with farming and ranching enterprises with some relatives, so I consider myself as somewhat a country boy.

So now to my question for my THL friends.  What are your thoughts as to the accuracy of the "McLeods Daughters" series.  I was so taken with the early episodes that I ended up with purchasings all 8 years of the DVDs...which I watch on occasion several times a year.

Appreciated your thougts and observations and criticisiams(sp).....thanks folks..:COOLdude:

Ol' John...:Banghead::sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Fieldmor77

Ol' John, i can honestly say i have never seen an episode!, however, i do know a couple of blokes who never miss a show, but i would say that would be less to do with the story line, and more to do with the "daughters".
The scenery and setting aspect would be spot on as to a typical property out west here.

kombi1976

Eye candy on an Aussie farm, John.
B-grade acting mostly and some pretty bad scripts, at least IMO.
Not Australia's finest hour but not their worst.
If you want to see REAL outback stuff set not in the modern day but after the war with additional stuff set in WW2 in the Pacific find "A Town Like Alice" with Bryan Brown.
It's one of the best Aussie programs ever made.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: kombi1976;108395Eye candy on an Aussie farm, John.
B-grade acting mostly and some pretty bad scripts, at least IMO.
Not Australia's finest hour but not their worst.
If you want to see REAL outback stuff set not in the modern day but after the war with additional stuff set in WW2 in the Pacific find "A Town Like Alice" with Bryan Brown.
It's one of the best Aussie programs ever made.

kombi,

I totally agree with you on "A Town Like Alice".  One of my all-time favorites.  As a matter of fact I have 2 copies in the VHS format in my library....just in case one goes bad.

Any other films I should look for?

Appreciate your input, fellas!:2thumbsup:

Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

Jorge in Oz

John, I was one of those blokes that never missed McLeod's daughters, nice looking sheilas running a farm, couldn't think of a better place to work as a farm hand. Kombi mentioned the less than perfect acting, but I have seen a lot worse in other shows. I found the show as real as life could be out in the bush and the characters were typical of the aussie country folk. I hope you enjoy the series, I certainly did.

I concur with Andy, "A Town like Alice" was definitely great viewing. As you american dudes would know if you look up aussie larrikin in the encyclopedia there will be a picture of Bryan Brown. Whenever an aussie chracter is need in an american film, there's Bryan Brown.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Fieldmor77

Speaking of TV shows, to all the Aussies out there, ch 10 tonight, a show called keeping up with the Joneses, a TV crew spent six months filming the everyday lives of a family running a 500,000 plus Hectare cattle property up north, should be a ripper.

Episode one tonight at 8.00.

branxhunter

What was the show set in South Australia a year or two back, with Rachel Ward as a country vet dealing with Johnes (pronounced yonies) disease in sheep? Some nice cinematography there of the pastoral/grazing areas of South Aust.

Marcus

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Marcus,

I have the answer to that one...."Rain Shadow"!  As I write this the first year is on its way to me via  'NETFLIX'.  Will be watching this with great interest next week.  Rachel Ward has been a favorite actress of mine for a number of years.  Hopefully, she and Brian Brown are still a two-some.

Thanks for the go on this one.

Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

branxhunter

That is the one.

Yep, Rachel is a good actress, and Brian is not bad before the camera either.

As far as I know they are still a married couple after many years which is becoming more rare in showbusiness these days.......

I think one of Rachels first big breaks was in "Thorn Birds", also set in Australia. From memory Brian also stars in the series - may even have been where they met.

I don't know if you have seen "The Man from Snowy River (1&2)"; these are set in the high country on NE Victoria/SE NSW. Stunning scenery, and an insight into what life would have been like a hundred odd years ago. A well known (in this country anyway) Australian actress Sigrid Thornton stars in that one.

Marcus

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

UPDATE....:daisy:

Just finished "Rain Shadow" episodes 1-thru-6 of season one!  Enjoyable watch and hope they made  a season two.  Not much info available on Victoria Thaine  who portrayed the new young vet.  

Last nite watch again "The World's Fastest Indian" the story of New Zealander Bert Munro.  Great story, IMO.

Marcus, yes have seen both of "The Man from Snowy River",  well worth a watch.

Thanks for your participation and suggestions fellows.  Any other films you might think of....let me know.

Best regards

Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

branxhunter

"A Fortunate Life" is the biography of A.B. Facey, who grew up and lived in Western Australia when they were opening up the cropping and pastoral country. He was a war veteran of the Gallipoli campaign in WWI.

His story is one of incredible hardship but also of incredible humility - hence the title. I really liked the book, and I think it was adapted as a film. Worth checking out.

Marcus

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Marcus,

Thanks neighbor, for the possible look at "A Fortunate Life"....did a search on Amazon and the least expensive copy I could find was $55.00 USD.  Ouch!  Not in my budget at the present so the book has gone to my "hope list".

A friend loaned me a copy of "Sole Survivor"  by Derek Hansen...just started reading it and so far it has piqued me interest.  Not an "Aussie" but a New Zealander by way of England.:cool:

Thanks for the heads-up on "A Fortunate Life"..will certainly look forward to the future purchase when I can manage it.

Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

A good mornin' to you, neighbors!

Update for ya! Found a hardback copy of "A Fortunate Life" from a bookstore in New Zealand thru 'Abebooks.com' for $20.00 USD and ordered same a few minutes ago. Now to wait a coupla weeks for delivery.

#2 update.....finished the book "Sole Survivor" by Derek Hansen....and what a good read! Kept my interest thru the entire journey. Characters were most 'interesting' to say the least!

Thanks for taking the time to post your replies. Greatly appreciated by the ol' guy here in central Texas.

Regards,

Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

kombi1976

John, I just thought of another film you may find interesting.
It's billed as a war film but it has large sections about Australian life pre-WW1.
It's "Gallipoli" starring Mel Gibson.
A stellar local cast and a great modern soundtrack.
Since Mel is in it you may actually find it on video and it's well worth the watch.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

branxhunter

Kombi,

what is the movie with Bryan Brown as a swagman who is  joined on the road by a little girl - is it "Shiralee"? I saw it many, many years ago but seem to remember that it was quite good.

Of course Ol' John, if you are into reading or watching some more Australian history that is also a fine story, the story of the Duracks setting up a pastoral station in the remote  Kimberly region of Australia "Kings in Grass Castles", and also the story of Sir Sidney Kidman setting up his cattle station empire "The Cattle King" are also both worth a look.

Marcus

Tags: