Barrel chuck

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), May 19, 2015, 05:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Following on from the barrel vice, here is a chuck I'm making for my little lathe...

Just waiting for the 5/8x2" UNF grub screws to which I will fit some brass tips.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I wish my lathe was that "little".

Lathe envy...

Just for a bit of explanation for those to whom the operation/use may not be clear: The chuck that j0e_bl0ggs made will get drilled and tapped at the 4 points of a compass (N, E, S, W) and the "grub screws" will be inserted to grab onto the barrel that in turn will be inserted in the hole in the center of the chuck. By adjusting the screws and using a dial indicator he can both grab onto and center the barrel in the chuck. The other end of the barrel will either be in the tail-stock, or in a similar "chuck" (commonly called a "spider" on this side of the pond), at the rear of the head-stock. https://www.google.com/search?q=lathe+spider&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=897&tbm=isch&imgil=qTPbq3zzjnSBHM%253A%253B60dXDTcCHguUQM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.neme-s.org%25252FSpider.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=qTPbq3zzjnSBHM%253A%252C60dXDTcCHguUQM%252C_&usg=__k-aRWiSHPVHIBp2N1ew1e6bMBVQ%3D&ved=0CCkQyjc&ei=7UhbVeTuPMLaoAT4xYCYCQ#imgrc=_

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Thanks to Paul some 5/8x18 UNF  2" long grub screws turned up, so had a chance to fit this morning.
The grub screws have had a 4mm hole drilled through as I will fit some brass pins to the nose of the screws.
They will be 10mmø the 4mm hole is to extract the worn brass when needed.

Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Jobs a gud 'un...

All finished now!

Turvey Stalking

gitano

Excellent!

How are the copper inserts held in place: Press fit; screwed; 'finger tight'... ?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Better than excellent....When the brass gets worn, he can just punch them out and install new ones. You need to apply for a patent!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Squished in at 7tons, ain't going nowhere for a while!
Turvey Stalking

Jorge in Oz

"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Tags: