moose

Started by davidlt89, November 09, 2011, 03:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

My dad completed his moose hunt today early this morning. He managed to get himself a 629lb (dressed) cow, which I would consider a "big" cow! he is pretty excited as he has not shot any big game since around 1976! I will hope to have some pictures soon, hopefully dad can have them transferred to a disc!!! God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Outstanding! Can't wait for pictures.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

yea baby

Snow on the roof but there is still fire in the furnace.:sweetheart::D
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

RatherBHuntin

Congratulations to your father, I bet he is really excited.  That's gonna be one full freezer.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

hopefully we will have some pics soon! they took a "disposable" camera because dad forgot his camera and that is what my father in law had! I probably should have been on this hunt and had plans to, but it did not work out. I am actually surprised these two "actually" got one, to tell the truth. Both of them are "armchair" hunters with lots of "advice", they just never do it. I let dad shoot the gun on sunday at 100 yards and he missed an 8 1/2x11" piece of paper. Apparently though, he did not miss a 629lb moose at 100 yards! more to come! God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

bowhunter 51

Excellent!......davidt,.......
.............................................perhaps you can squeeze him for step-by-step
detail along  with images of this hunt....until then:food04: good eating.......BH51
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

recoil junky

My congratulations to your father!!!!

And don't worry about getting the '06 just yet. Dad feel's like a kid again so let him have his fun. :MOGRIN:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

QuoteBoth of them are "armchair" hunters with lots of "advice", they just never do it.
That's a rather large fraternity, I'm afraid.
QuoteI let dad shoot the gun on sunday at 100 yards and he missed an 8 1/2x11" piece of paper. Apparently though, he did not miss a 629lb moose at 100 yards! more to come!
Yeah, well... That target at a hundred yards is a little bit bigger than an 8.5x11 piece of paper. Something often lost on those that don't hunt the bigger deer. A moose's heart is almost as big as the entire heart-lung system on some of the southern white-tails.

Paul

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteA moose's heart
Speaking of that, I should get my half of the heart shortly!:chef:. I was in the store the other night getting something for supper and noticed they had some chicken hearts all packaged up and ready to go, did not take me long to buy those up!!!!!!!!!!! God bless.

davidlt89

QuoteAnd don't worry about getting the '06 just yet. Dad feel's like a kid again so let him have his fun.
I will tell you how this is going to go down! that rifle is going back into the cabinet without being cleaned and sit just like it has for the last 33 years!!!! He has a Ithaca 20ga pump that was given to him by my cousin when my uncle died to give to me, that was 12 years ago. If It was not his brothers, I would have taken it a long time ago. He told me he wanted to hunt birds with it, never happened!!!! Guns at his house seem to "sit and rust", that does not sit well with me, especially when he has a grandson getting ready to start shooting!!! Now, don't get the wrong idea, I love my dad dearly, he is just not a hunter and really has no desire to do so! he did not put in for this moose permit in "hopes" of getting drawn, he actually called me one night and asked if "I" wanted him to put in and list me as the subpermittee. I got drawn in 2009 and had to wait two years to put in again, but as a subpermittee, I can legally shoot a moose in those two years. that was the only reason he put it, it was also the stipulation that I foot the bill!!! When the permit was drawn, it took him two hours to change his mind, before that he had no desire at all to shoot a moose. BUT, I am glad he decided to shoot it, it has been a long time since he has shot anything. Him and my father in law had fun, I actually would of just been the "gut" person if I had been on the trip. I also would of faced agonizing hours of being told by the two "old timers" how much I did not know, even though I have shot more game than both them put together. of course I would of smiled and just nodded!:D Who knows, maybe he will change his mind on the rifle.
Quoteperha ps you can squeeze him for step-by-step
detail along with images of this hunt....until then
Not a whole lot to tell with moose hunting. Up here, most of it is done by truck! you ride around and look for moose. We have lots of fields up, especially broccoli fields. moose love the broccoli, and farmers hate the moose! this is the easiest because you don't just "drag" a moose out of the woods. Most people are equipped with winches and if the moose is down in the field, you drive up to it and winch it onto the truck, or trailer.

I believe the first day they saw 4 moose. the spotted a nice moose right when first light was coming up, but could not tell if it was a cow for sure. To be honest, this was due to shotty glass, plain and simple. the moose went of into the woods, which had a field on the other side. they chose to go in the opposite direction while another truck chose to go check out the other field. long story short, the other truck had a nice cow moose!!!!! they seen 3 more right at dusk and claimed to not be able to tell if there were any cows, so did not take any shots. which is good, the one thing you don't want to make a mistake on here is moose, you are better off killing a bald eagle!!!

The second day they also seen 4 moose. Seen a cow in the morning right behind some posted signs. They took off and seen 3 more on some other land only to be greeted by the landowner and "asked nicely" to exit the property.

The third day they ran into 2 bulls and the cow they got. According to them the cow was dwarfed by both bulls!!!! dad got out of the truck and took a head on shot I believe trying for the brisket. The bullet was actually high and went into the neck. The cow dropped where she stood. Moose tend to be "wimpy" and as long as the bullet "hits" them, they seem to drop. When dad got up to it, she was trying to lift her head. He asked my father in law for his .45 and placed one behind the ear and they were ready to gut. I will say this, my father is one slick gutter!!! not a drop of blood on his clothes and done in 10 minutes. I still cannot do it like he can:D.

they got the moose loaded up and came and showed it to me at work, then went and tagged and weighed it. 629lbs is a heavy cow in my book, the average is between 400-500lbs. actually, I think a 500lb cow is big (keep in mind these are dressed weights).
they were not to prepared camera wise and had a "disposable" camera with them. Dad is going to try to get the pictures on a disc and send me some. Hard telling when that will be as the closest place is where I live and he is 20 miles away with no license at this current time!!!! I more than likely will have to go get it and have it done. I had offered him my video camera, but he did not want to get a "miss" recorded. I told him that was no big deal as missing is part of hunting, but no dice!!!!! God Bless.

Fieldmor77

Very interesting story Dave, the biggest game we have over here to compare with Moose would be a Sambar Stag, of which there are none in Queensland, { that i know of }.
So if you draw a tag for Moose, can you shoot a Bull or only Cows?

gitano

DavidLT - I couldn't agree more with the choices you have made in this entire matter - guns, hunting, shooting, etc. Wise choices all in my opinion.

Fieldmore77 - Drawings can be for "cow only", "bull only", or "either $ex". You get to shoot the gender that your drawing specifies.

"Moose are wimpy" - RIGHT ON! One of the many little annoyances that 'endear' gunwriters (ptooey) to me is all the macho baloney about "needing" "enough gun" to kill a moose. THe first 5 moose I ever shot were killed with a .270 shooting a 130-grain bullet. Not one of them went more than a body length. AND... thousands of moose are cleanly kille devery year in Scandinavia with 6.5x55s. Of course a poorly placed shot won't "work", but stupid gunwriters (ptooey) and other "experts" seem to think that a "big cartridge" can make up for poor shooting and shot selection. Grrr... Personally, based on the little experience I have had with seeing elk shot, I'd say elk are WAY "tougher" to kill than moose are.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Vermonster

Very cool David!  Congrats to your Dad!!!

davidlt89

well, better late than never! Here are some pictures of the hunt.

Here the moose where it fell! could not ask for a better place to get it loaded.

all gutted!

gutted and loaded! the moose was drug on by a winch secured to the back of the truck. guy on the back of the truck is my father in law.

My dad at the tagging station.

butcher's place. this one guy did a total of 129 moose for the 3 weeks!

God Bless.

Vermonster

Very nice David!  Good looking cow!

Tags: