Standard Cartridge Series - .222 Remington

Started by Hunterbug, November 21, 2004, 09:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

I was looking and unless I'm mistaken it appears that you missed the 222 in your standard cartrige series. Just thought I'd point that out.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Jay Edward (deceased)

You're absolutely right 'bug...and since I had to do a new scan, I believe it wasn't posted on the old server.  I just didn't think anyone would be interested in this particular cartridge.  Am I wrong?

So, without further ado (and in much humility) here ye be:

NUMBERFARMER

The 222 was the first true varmint cartridge I ever owned. I still have that gun which is a M70 topped with a 7.5x Leupold M8 scope. My rifle has been very easy to reload for as long as I stay with 50 grain bullets at around 3100 fps. I use mostly H 4895 and H 335 since I use those powders in other rifles BLC2 has also worked well. This cartridge has served me well as both a praire dog cartridge and as a good gun for coyotes. The accuracy that this cartridge provides has allowed me to extend its range more than I really should. I have used it out to 400 yards on praire dogs and to 300 on coyotes. This is the gun that my wife hooks onto if she goes shooting with us. You can pull the trigger and watch the bullet hit. Almost no recoil and extremely good accuracy. It is also fairly reasonable to shoot as my gun will group well with winchester 50 grain bullets and from 20 to 25 grains of powder. I don't use this gun as much as others, but I still try to shoot 200 - 400 rounds a year through it and am very satisfied with the gun, scope, and the caliber.

Hunterbug

When we had the old forum and you were in the 22 calibers I wasn't interested. But now I own one so that kind of changes my perspective. ;) The only thing that I have loaded for it to date is some 55gr Hornady SPs that a friend gave me. I just got some IMR 4198 and some 50gr Hornady SXSPs and I'm going to work up a load to take to RockinBBars for coyotes.

I got mine because my 10 year old daughter wants to go hunt coyotes and as much as I love her I'm not about to hand her my beautiful custom made 257 AI to take through the woods. So I picked up this 222 at a pawn shop for 180 bucks. It's an old Savage 340 that had a Weaver K4 and scope mount that have both been replaced. Initally I had some difficulty getting it to shoot but after replacing thoes things and now it shoots pretty good. I haven't had the time to play with it as much as I would like but now that elk season is over I have more time. I love that fact that it uses less than 1/3 the powder that my 338 used and just under 1/2 of my 257. And like Numberfarmer said the recoil is nonexistant. I really need to play with it now and see what she'll do.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

NUMBERFARMER

One thing I would share with you is that my particular rifle was very sensitive to changing primers.  I now use wsr primers and have good results, but one type that I tried actually caused bullets to key hole.  I am not sure why this particular caliber has shown such primer sensitivity, but in my rifle it has proven to be a big issue.  I have seen this for years in my hornet, but never in any other cartridge except my 222.  It may have nothing to do with the cartridge, but when I figured this out with my gun and found the right primer, my groups shrank very rapidly.  Just a thought I wanted to share since you were going to embark upon some load development.

Hunterbug

OK, I'll keep that in mind. Right now I have some WSR primers to start off with. One thing that I do know is that my rifle does not like Winchester brass. Remington and Federal work fine but it won't eject Winchester brass.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Brithunter

Hi All,

Jay you were wrong................sorry:eek:  the .222 Rem is on my certificate as an open slot just waiting to be filled. I know where there is a supposedly very nice original BSA Hunter in .222 and that's what I would like. The Hunter was BSA's first wholly designed rifle action and all back in 1953. Trouble is it's a long drive to view an old rifle and if the decsription is wrong:(  so I am still looking. Next year if I can't find one closer to home I may just forsake the BSA and get a CZ-Brno instead in .222 rem:D  not a bad dilema to be facing methinks:D
Go Get them Floyd!

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: Brithunter[/color]Jay you were wrong................sorry:eek: the .222 Rem is on my certificate as an open slot just waiting to be filled.
[/color][/size]

Don't be 'sorry' BH...I've been wrong so many times during my life that I celebrate the anniversary's of the days I was right!

Hope you get your .222 Rem slot filled...and at a reasonable price.

Tags: