Reloading Gurus?

Started by recoil junky, January 12, 2012, 11:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

Night before last while at work, we were "shutdown" due to the snow storm. I was sitting in the pickup with another couple of fellers (early 20's) and they got to talking about reloading. Well, they were both bragging on the shear volume of their brass, bullets, primers and powder it sounded like a couple of 8 year olds a braggin' about how smart their dogs were. OK boys, it's 02:00, I'm going to rest my eyes a bit.

Then they started talking about how fast this load or that load was for their .223's.

This of course piqued my curiosity so I listened a bit closer. One feller was telling the other that his hottest .223 load was "over 4000 fps"

I asked "Reeeeealy,. What grain bullet is that with?"

Long awkward pause . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Liar: "Uh, it's a uh um uh 55 grain bullet."

Me: "Oh reeeealy. What brand?"

Liar: "Um uh it's a uh Hornady."

Me: "Vmax?"

Liar: "No, a spitzer." (at least he knew a bit of terminology)

Me: "Hornady doesn't make spitzers."

Longer awkward pause . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Liar: "Well aren't you the expert!!"

Me: "No, I'm no expert, but next time I see your Dad I'll tell him how bigga one you are. Now take me back over to my dozer so I can get back to work."

Last night in the change room the other feller cornered me, "Are you really going to tell his Dad?"

"Yes I am and you know why?"

"Why?"

"Well for one, neither one of you knew what you were talking about and what you guys were talking about doing could get someone hurt or worse."

"Oh, well it's a good thing you don't know my Dad!!"

"Yeah, it probably is."  

RJ

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

klallen

i'm suprised they didn't start "bragging" about how many hundreds of dollars they spend a year buying their components from local shops and mail order venders.

ya know, i think i did tip-toe right up next to 4000 fps with my .223 developing some early handloads for it years back. but it sure wasn't with a 55 gr bullet. pretty sure i was using calhoon's 30 gr dbl hp to get those kinds of fps.

silly boys.

k

gitano

I'm just surprised they didn't start bragging about how much their "special" rifles cost, or how far their "special" rifles and reloads could shoot.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

klallen

i agree.  that is also suprising.  they'd have probably hit on several "profound" topics if r j would have allowed the conversatin to continue.

i'm sure they'd have proven equally clueless about what a "special" rifle really is or what one even costs.  and downrange ballistics?  lol.  forget about it.  as silly as the boys look talking about 4000 fps with a 55 in a .223, i've found there's very few things that make a person look stupider, less educated and flat out ignorant then enguaging in a conversation about downrange ballistics when they have no grasp of the concept.

k

gitano

You're not nearly as 'slick' as you think you are, and about as subtle as a brick. Nobody picked a fight with you, but you HAD to start with childish, snide remarks. Sadly, that's your nature, but it really isn't how THL works or how anybody here wants THL to work. No one here has the 'power' to ban you for your consistently bad behavior, but only because NO ONE, not only ME I assure you, can access the administrative controls to do so. That's unfortunate for THL. Nonetheless, you REALLY need to stop the childish behavior or leave. You have been repeatedly warned in private, but you insist on continuing with your childish 'pokes' at me. Unfortunately, because we can't ban you, AND you INSIST on continuing the petty behavior, you will be publicly admonished EVERY TIME YOU DO IT. And it won't be me doing next time.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Tags: