Another Majestic Featherweight deluxe....Photos added

Started by Brithunter, September 30, 2010, 05:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Finally picked up the .270 Majestic, yep another and this one has a lower three digit serial number than my first one. The blueing is in better condition but the stock has a repair spliced into the schnable tip where someone stripped the sling loop out.

The thing that struck me that I missed when I looked at it some 8 years ago is that this one only has chequering on the pistol grip and not the forestock :confused: and the private view mark does not exist on the list :eek:. So the left hand letter must be a partial one but it certainly does not look like it.... :confused:

Am cleaning the bore at the moment and boy was it fouled up with jacket material.. The rifling look poor and felt rough on the bronze brush but a couple of soakings in P-H 009 and a good scrubbing with the bronze brush moved the hard coating of powder fouling which then allowed the Forest Foaming bore cleaner get to work on the copper fouling and after several applications of it over a period of about 3 1/2 hours the rifling looks more defined and the bronze brush feels smoother and it quieter going down the bore.

When it arrived just looking down the bore it looked fairly clean.................................................  just goes to show.

Sadly it had been attacked by someone who fell for the "Free Floating barrel mantra" and they have messed up the barrel channel inlettign somewhat. i particulary liked the two bits of card shim in the bottom of the recoil lug recess int eh stock and when I tried to take the stock off I found that the fores screw was only just over nipped up tightness wise but the raer tang screw had been donw up by King Kong himself :sweatdrop:.

Luckily it seems they didn't finish the wrecking of the barrel channel and the fore stock bedding point may be still usable :stare: but we shall see once I get it back together in the morning. If the weather holds out I'll fit up a scope and give it a try out back and see if it groups.

Edit:-

I am not certain or convinced that this it the original bolt. the number though poorly struck does not seem to be the same as the receiver and barrel. The bolt is off a deluxe hence the engraving but the lack of chequering on the fore stock seems to be at odds with such a label as deluxe. The brown butt pad is a replacement P-H  one. As the LOP with it suits me I can stay

I managed to pick up these mint period P-H rings which in my opinion are far better looking that the late one. Profiled and highly polished they sit well on this rifle.

I think you will agree :2thumbsup:

Now I test shot the rifle this morning and after several bore scrubbings and treatments with Forest Foaming bore cleaner the rifling is more distinct. Although the bore looked bright it looked worn and I did wonder if a replacement barrel would be needed so priced one up and allowed for that cost in the calculations. However once I started to clean the bore it soon became apparent that it had years of jacket fouling that needed to be removed.

The Forest is still removing copper :huh: I just pushed the foam out after setting for an hour or so and the patch is deep blue. So after a 2nd dry patch another application has been applied and I'll leave it for an hour or so muzzle down and see what the patch comes out like.  However with an old hand load using the Sierra 140 grain BTSP #1845 with IMR 4831 show promise. I will have to lad a few up to take to the range and try them :smiley: along with the Fusion 150 grn factory ammo.
Go Get them Floyd!

Brithunter

Well this is what we are working with:-

You can see the very slim profile that these rifles have.

The silver screw retains the trigger guard to the stock.

The factory routed out the fire stock to reduce weight. You can see the two buff card shims in the bottom of the recoil lug mortice put there by a previous owner when they attempted to free float the barrel :huh:

You can see the old school spliced stock repair and the new school bodged free float attempt :huh2:

The number on the bolt root appears to be a poorly stamped 222.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: