RB mold

Started by Hunterbug, August 18, 2013, 10:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

Yesterday I won a .535 RB mold on EBay for my 54 caliber Trade Rifle. I have everything else I need to cast, including a mold for 357 bullets, I just haven't done it yet. I can't wait for it to get here so I can start casting my own balls.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

drinksgin (deceased)

Uh ,oh.
Another one heading down the primrose path to casting mania!

;D  :MOGRIN:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

RatherBHuntin

I think you are going to enjoy it.  Remember, lots of fresh air and keep the water well away.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

More importantly do not add wet lead to the melt, water is not a problem as long as it does not get INTO the melt - water on the surface just turns to steam - water in the melt turns to steam in an explosive way.

Sometimes one needs water nearby to cold quench the cast bullets.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Hunterbug

I well remember Gitano's lesson with water and casting. :)  I'll post a picture of my first casting.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

RatherBHuntin

Quote from: j0e_bl0ggs;127348More importantly do not add wet lead to the melt, water is not a problem as long as it does not get INTO the melt - water on the surface just turns to steam - water in the melt turns to steam in an explosive way.

Sometimes one needs water nearby to cold quench the cast bullets.

True, still a couple feet below the pot and a couple feet to the side.  Only scare I have had casting was cold lead on a humid day, some moisture had condensed on the lead when I dropped it in the pot it sizzled a little, enough to teach me to preheat the lead on such days
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: RatherBHuntin;127358True, still a couple feet below the pot and a couple feet to the side.  Only scare I have had casting was cold lead on a humid day, some moisture had condensed on the lead when I dropped it in the pot it sizzled a little, enough to teach me to preheat the lead on such days

It is the water getting into the melt that is dangerous for example the folded scrap sheet that I get from a local roofing buddy. Generally it was just stored outside. There was enough water in a fold, ask me how I know!

You can dribble water onto your melt pot and it will not explode - you could dump your melt into water and watch that explode.

The real advise is if you use ingots to fill your pot it is probably an idea to check if wet and a better idea to store the ingot in a dry place.
If using scrap sheet it is even more important to store the lead somewhere dry, nowadays I unfold the scrap to be sure!

"Familiarity breeds contempt"

One thing the talk about water always detracts from is the danger of molten lead in the first instance - safe handling of molten lead with at least apron gloves and safety glasses should be paramount. Now I'm not a believer of telling people what to do but I do believe in learning from my and others mistakes, Lead burns can be horrific. At the very least protect your eyes.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Not too much to add to j0e_bl0ggs comments other than try not to have your melting pot too high. If it's "high" and it gets tipped over, lots of lead can fall on you. If it's "low", it's difficult to get any on anything but your shoes. (Casting in bare feet or sandals is generally only done once. :D)

Of course on the floor - the lowest you can have your casting pot - is absurdly - and dangerously - placed. This is probably more an issue when you're converting your wheel weights to ingots because you will be lifting and pouring "buckets" of molten lead. The higher that molten lead is, the more of your body it has "access" to. A leather apron is a good idea.

Since you mentioned my little "adventure" with lead and water, I know you are well aware of the need for safety goggles. I mention it here only in the off chance that another novice caster is lurking.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Well it figures. My mold arrived yesterday and so did the thunderstorms. >:( We'll see what this afternoon brings.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

And what has it brought?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

They turned out pretty good. The first ones that I made I used the metal that I got with the pot and 38 mold. When I weighed them they were 200gr when they should have been closer fo 220. I got some lead from a local shop and they are 220 now for a .530" round ball. I haven't had the chance to shoot them yet.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Mass doesn't matter TOO much with RBs as the "frontal area" is pretty much the same regardless of weight. A 10% difference shouldn't make too much difference TERMINALLY, but it could have a big effect on external - in-flight - ballistics. In other words, if they hit where you aim them. I'd shoot them both and see which one shot straightest and not worry about final weight.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

What's the latest on your ML shooting, HB?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: