12 (15.4%)
.5x55mm
13 (16.7%)
60 Rem
10 (12.8%)
57 Bob
7 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 59

So, given a fairly lightweight (<7.5#?)package, and a variety of deer hunting (terrain, species), which would you choose and why?
I know there's some serious overlap here, but I'm having a hard time deciding between a couple of these for my next easy-totin' whitetail gun.
I'm thinking of a M70 short action featherweight, which can handle the 3.1" cartridges.

Daryl (deceased)

Quite honestly, I don't see a lot of difference in the effectiveness of the cartridges listed.  In fact, all but 2 (?) are based on the same cartridge case.  I doubt you'd see any difference in one from the others for deer.

If there's a chance you might use the rifle for elk sized game, I'd most likely go with the .308 (in the choices you offer).  For strictly deer I'd probably choose the 6.5x55, but I think that they're all very reasonable choices that will perform similarly on deer.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Hunterbug

I'm kind of surprised that you didn't list the 358, your namesake. For deer only I would go with the 7mm-08 loaded with a 140gr SP. That will kill a deer out as far as most people shoot.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sbeach

For a lightweight deer cartridge i think the 6.5-55 would be good. I've read that in Sweden (I believe) they hunt elk size game with it. The .308 is a great round, but will give more recoil and if the 6.5 is more than adequate why beat on yourself any more than necessary. I have not been able to keep up with the .260 rem. How has it fared as of late?

English

I guess you left out my favorite.  I like the .243 Win.  Now before you go saying it's not a deer cartridge you better know that I'm a fragile guy and take comments like that real hard.  HEHE.  Anyway that's my story and I"m sticking to it.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

gitano

They're all fine, but the .308 is the most versatile. In my opinion, it's the "best". :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Thanks for the comments, guys. In looking over ballistics and reload data, the 7x57 has an edge in power over the others, and the recoil of any of these is pretty much a wash. 120g or 140g or 150g over some 52g of powder is going to be "not a lot." The 7mm 140 goes faster than the 6.5mm 140, but has a lower SD/BC. And when you're dealing with a M70, there's no reason NOT to use that magazine space.

So, I'm stuck between the Swede and the 7mm Mauser. I have a monster 358 for the big stuff (hence the moniker), a wildcat based on the 404J, and so this will strictly be deer/sheep/pronghorn (if ever....) The Swede will basically do 2700 and the 7mm 2800, both at the upper end (agreed?), and using Nosler's Part, I come up with very close to the same figures at 300yd, with jsut a slight edge going to the 7mm.
BUT, since the M70 comes chambered in the Swede, and I'd have to go through a lot more work to find myself a 7mm Mauser, unless I bought a -what?- 1945 Winchester, then I think I've talked myself into the Swede.

The 308 is definitely the most versatile, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I have a semi-auto 308 if I ever just HAD to have one, but I think for my purposes I'll be quite content with the Swede.

Thanks for the comments, and for listening to me talk out loud. Any other suggestions or comments are most welcome.
:D

jchunter

How bout the simple .270 with 130 grain? If you are considering a .308 and not going to be hunting Elk or other large boned big game, it's hard to beat the accurancy, velocity and flat shooting ability.

JC

Hobie

The 6.5x55 is the best of those listed but I'd have included the 7-30 Waters and even the .30-30.  All these cartridges are easy and fun to shoot and all that one needs for deer.

Daryl (deceased)

Along with Hobie's suggestions, I'd also mention the .307 Winchester.  I've read quite a bit about this one, and Jay just posted something about it down in the handloading section

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Well, if we're going to go there, then I think we must concede the 348 is actually the best of all!
But this is going to be a bolt, and if we're thinking the outside chance of sheep in the hills, or pronghorn as well, I'm going to want to have a little more reach than the 30-30.
Seems to me the 7mm Mauser is the king. But the Swede is such a charming round, and is jsut a half-step behind, that it might win based on looks.

RumRunner

.358 seez; "So, I'm stuck between the Swede and the 7mm Mauser".  
Man! what a dilemma!
That sir, would be a tough choice, since the poll was for a  "lightweight deer" cartridge.

I voted for the little 7mm since it is my favorite go to do everything cartridge.  If I was to be "stuck" with but one rifle/cartridge, I could only hope it would be the little 7x57.

I certainly don't want to start a debate on a my gun is bigger than your gun thing, and of course our mileage is going to vary on this subject, but that would be my final answer.
Walk softly and carry a big ol\' Smoothbore!

Alright, so nobody get mad, but I was just going over some load data for the 7mm WSM, and it appears that one can fairly easily meet the 7x57's best loads (2900 fps) with the same amount of powder (~50-52g) meaning, same recoil. Then, of course, on the other end you have a 175g Partition going 2850 or something insane like that.
The WSM has no class compared to the Swede and the Mauser, we must admit, but for a lightweight thin-skinned hunter, it must be put into the running just on versatility alone. (Not sure I'd want to touch off 175g at 3050 in a 7# gun, but just to say, it's there if you want it.)

Madddman

Quote from: sbeachFor a lightweight deer cartridge i think the 6.5-55 would be good. I've read that in Sweden (I believe) they hunt elk size game with it. The .308 is a great round, but will give more recoil and if the 6.5 is more than adequate why beat on yourself any more than necessary. I have not been able to keep up with the .260 rem. How has it fared as of late?
I Sweden more moose are killed with 6.5s than any other cartridge.

I voted on the 7mm-08,I would rather have a .308 but It isn't in my mind a "lightweight" round and really didn't belong in the poll.

Tags: