Wanted: 17 Remington brass!

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), July 21, 2011, 06:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

As per title, anyone have any once fired Remington brass for sale?
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Daryl (deceased)

Well, I shoot .17 Remington, but I also reload it.  I save my empties for that purpose.

What you need is someone us USED to shoot .17 Remington.

Wish I could be more help, but I really can't part with the brass I have for it.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

gitano

Not speaking for anyone else, but I don't even like you. I'm sure not gonna give you any of my precious brass. :)

Kidding aside, I don't know of anyone but Daryl and I (and you) that shoot .17 Rem. Paul Hoskins shoots .17, but it's not the Remington. It some smaller wildcat I think.

I would go ahead and make the inquiry in the Campfire. I don't think the Classifieds get checked nearly as often.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;115236Not speaking for anyone else, but I don't even like you. I'm sure not gonna give you any of my precious brass. :)

Kidding aside, I don't know of anyone but Daryl and I (and you) that shoot .17 Rem. Paul Hoskins shoots .17, but it's not the Remington. It some smaller wildcat I think.

I would go ahead and make the inquiry in the Campfire. I don't think the Classifieds get checked nearly as often.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Paul
Thanks Paul!
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Just for a hoot, they want over $1/case here!!!!!
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Relative to other 'common' brass, it's gotten spendy over here too, but not that much. $52 per hundred plus at least $5 for shipping at Grafs with "dealer" discount. The bad news is that I've never been able to get more than about 4 or 5 reloads from a case. AND, in my rifle, they stretch lengthwise  a LOT! I have to trim every time I reload. I do run them 'right up there' at an average MV of 4112 f/s, but I get better life and don't have to trim every time lots of other cartridges.

There seems to be something 'funny' going on with the .17 Remington. Everything associated with reloading it has really gone up in price - dies, brass, shell-holders, etc. There's always just a little bit "extra" in the cost of everything associated with it. I have used .223 brass necked down to .17, but it wasn't as 'pretty' as the 'native' brass. I often got creases in the shoulders, AND you HAVE to 'peel' the necks. They end up way too thick after necking down. That said, I might have to go to .223 brass to avoid the cost. When it comes to cost, I can deal with "not as pretty".

Lake City .223 Rem brass is $18 per 100. One third the price of the .17 Rem. Sumpin' ain't right about that...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;115249Relative to other 'common' brass, it's gotten spendy over here too, but not that much. $52 per hundred plus at least $5 for shipping at Grafs with "dealer" discount. The bad news is that I've never been able to get more than about 4 or 5 reloads from a case. AND, in my rifle, they stretch lengthwise  a LOT! I have to trim every time I reload. I do run them 'right up there' at an average MV of 4112 f/s, but I get better life and don't have to trim every time lots of other cartridges.

There seems to be something 'funny' going on with the .17 Remington. Everything associated with reloading it has really gone up in price - dies, brass, shell-holders, etc. There's always just a little bit "extra" in the cost of everything associated with it. I have used .223 brass necked down to .17, but it wasn't as 'pretty' as the 'native' brass. I often got creases in the shoulders, AND you HAVE to 'peel' the necks. They end up way too thick after necking down. That said, I might have to go to .223 brass to avoid the cost. When it comes to cost, I can deal with "not as pretty".

Lake City .223 Rem brass is $18 per 100. One third the price of the .17 Rem. Sumpin' ain't right about that...

Paul
The other thing worth noting, not many new rifles in 17Rem now, even Vhitavouri do not publish 17 Rem data any more. Remington's new(ish) 17 fireball is the fad today! I too will have to use the 223brass - hence the annealer...!!!
Turvey Stalking

Paul Hoskins

I just noticed this post & read it. I have been shooting the 17 Rem. for 30 years or more & have brass but not enough to sell any. I prolly have several hundred cases. I also shoot the 17 Ackley Bee & 17/225 Win. .....I have a feeling the newer 204 Ruger is making an inroad into the 17 Rem. sales. It is considerably more powerful & just as fast with heavier bullets in factory loads. .....Paul H

Tags: