Hunters elk hunt

Started by Hunterbug, November 07, 2013, 12:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

I didn't draw an elk tag this year but my oldest daughter, Hunter did. Rabbit Ears pass on the way over wasn't too bad. On the way back it was more like Paul remembers it but it was dark so I couldn't get any pictures.

Here's a pretty nice buck that was saw opening morning but we were after elk.

He had some does with him.

A wooly legged snow spider. ;)

Another OK buck.

Another doe. I could have shot her with my bow.

Where are the elk? It was tough Saturday and Sunday with no real shooting opportunities. Sunday evening a snow storm blew in and gave us 3-4 inches.

Mondays sunrise.

We saw very little sign where I usually hunt so we went to a different are and right away saw lots of fresh tracks. We got up on top of a ridge at up in the valley I watched 6 cows run down and across. The I saw a cow and small bull go just over the hill much closer. We decided to try and put a stalk on them. We were walking along a fence line when suddenly I saw a calf about 20 yards to my right! I called Hunter and she looked and brought her rifle up. I saw some other movement but I was fixated on the calf. Her gun went bang and the calf was still standing there. Did my daughter really just miss that elk at 20 yards? :huh2: No, she had shot the cow that was next to it. One shot right through the head with a 30-06. Game over!

Hunter and her cow.

Hunter and her trusty guide.

When we were dressing her we found that she had met a porcupine.

Coming down off the hill. I LOVE 4 wheel low.

The truck had fun.

I love Tyvex suits!

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

JaDub

Bravo Guys!!   Hunter........you ROCK girl !!

I`m looking forward to hearing all the details.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

OUTSTANDING!

Moments in time...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Chains, just like parachutes.

My congrats to Hunter and her "guide" :D  Most excellent!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

davidlt89

Congrats to the little lady!!!! Way to go dad! great story! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Vermonster

Very nice! Congrats to Hunter!!!! (And you too Dad.....)

Hunterbug

Thanx, guys. She won't get to hunt next year but I look forward to many hunts after that. She's quite a young woman.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

Quote from: Hunterbug;129060She's quite a young woman.

Yes she is. She's like a daughter to me, but don't tell her that. :greentongue:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Paul Hoskins

Congrat's to both of you. Great job & meat on  the table.   ......Paul H

Hunterbug

Here's an update. We just got a call from the DOW and Hunters elk tested positive for CWD. :( So we have to turn the meat in and she gets all of her costs back but not her preference points.

Niccolo Machiavelli

RatherBHuntin

bummer.  How much have yall eaten from it?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

Don't get preference points back?!!?!?!?! THAT ain't right!

Best to find out soon, but doesn't bode well for the herd!

There's always next year.
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Glenn we didn't eat any of it until the results came back. Now she needs to go shoot enough rabbits to make it up. ;)

Paul, the woman said that she got to hunt so that's why she doesn't get her points back. But that doesn't fill the freezer. We talk the meat down to them on Monday and I'll talk to them.

Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

Quote from: Hunterbug;129543We just got a call from the DOW and Hunters elk tested positive for CWD.

That just blows!!!

RJ

Tags: