For Dragonfly

Started by knuckledragger, October 21, 2004, 07:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knuckledragger

Draggy-  I asked you before what Cathead biscuits were.  Could you tell me how to make them again.  I'm gonna cook b-fast this Sunday.  

Knuckledragger
Not everyone gets a trophy.

Dragonfly

Alrighty then Knuckle...I'm probably too late for breakfast but here is the recipe.

Usually I take handfulls and estimate the ingredients but here goes.

2 cups of White Lilly Self Rising flour
2 TBSP of lard..Crisco is my favorite

Mix Crisco into flour until four is sorta grainy in appearance and feel....I do this with my hands but you can use a fork, knife or anything that will mix lard and flour.

Pour buttermilk...approx 1/2 cup to start...I always have 1 cup on hand.  Mix into flour mixture until wet...now not dripping wet just moist.  Sticky.

Then roll into a ball in the bowl.
Put out on a floured board. Knead flour mixture in flour on board...keep the biscuit dough damp....not dry.  Then on the same floured board roll out dough but keep about 1/2 in thick.

Then take biscuit cutter or what ever you are planning on using cut biscuits.

Prehead oven to 350o....place biscuits on cookie sheet or cake pan close together and bake.  When you see the top starting to get a little golden in appearance turn the oven on boil....watch closely as the tops turn....don't let them burn.

Hopefully you will have a great cat head!!!!

It's hard to give someone a recipe when a woman just throws in and mixes...:D

knuckledragger

Draggy-  No worries about being late for breakfast, our new range was delivered on Sat and my fumbling around didn't get it in until late Sun.  We have a soccer tournie on Sat so this might be a good gut filler.  Come hell or high water, I'm hunting on Sunday for the 1st time this season, so I wont cook B-Fast that day.  

Your cooking style is like my mother's.  Once she got a duaghter-in-law and her daughters grew up and cooked on their own, she had to start paying attention to her weights/measures because she was always being asked for her recipes.  I think she's cataloging them now on the more popular ones.  

I'll tell you how they come out, Knuckledragger

Dragonfly

:D  I cook the way I was taught Knuckle.  A handfull of this and a smiggin of that or a pinch here and there.
My Grandmother taught me to fix cat head biscuits and a lot of other things my Mom didn't cook anymore.  My Dad thought white sliced bread was the best thing going...course he had been raised on cat heads.

Yes, let me know how they turn out!!! Great I hope!!!! :cool:

knuckledragger

OK, based on this morning's exercise, I never should have survived 8 years of living on my own before marriage.  They tasted good, but only rose equal to their original thickness.  Oh well, room for improvement, but Bo Jangles ain't got nuttin' to worry 'bout.

Knuckledragger

Dragonfly

Did you use self rising flour?

And another thing...biscuits don't require a lot of kneading..just enough to work in a little extra four and your ball has to be damp.  Not wet...damp.

Not to worry you will do better each time.  First time I made biscuits they turned out like 50c pieces...:D

knuckledragger

You may have something there, I pounded that thing into submission, maybe a bit too much Marine on this mission.  I'm making another batch tonight after dinner so I have something to munch on tomorrow in the treestand.  I'll be kinder & gentler this time.

Dragonfly

:D :D  Yes you need to be gentle with biscuits.  Just work the flour in not pound them into submission....LOL!!! Now rolls and bread are a different story but biscuits have to be handled with gentle loving care...LOL!!!

knuckledragger

Second batch was a bit better size-wise, taste was just as good though.  I went easier on them this time.  Nothing like enjoying eating your mistakes.  They did taste good on the stand this AM.

KD

Dragonfly

You done good Knuckle.  Keep up the practice and you will get better and better.  Oh yes..mistakes taste pretty good some times.

You keep at it and soon you will know exactly how biscuit dough is susposed to feel and look.

And by the way....I use this same recipe for making cobbler pies but roll the dough thinner.

I split the ball of dough into two balls...roll them thin and place a full dough crust in the bottom of the pan, then my cooked fruit and top it off with the second ball rolled thin and sprinkle sugar and pats of real cow butter on top!!!  HUMMM good!!!:D

drinksgin (deceased)

KD;

If you have a problem with biscuits not rising, do the manly thing, use plain flour and beer for the liquid, a pinch of salt helps too. Do not work [handle] biscuit dough any more than necessary to get everything mixed once you add the liquid. If you do not mind the cholesterol, use pure lard, makes the flakiest biscuits and pie crusts, clogs the arteries like nothing else!
DF;
After 37 years of marriage, my wife still gets mad when she askes me for a recipe, she is a "by the book cook" and I am a "toss in enough until it looks right" cook, oh well, since I retired 2 years ago, I do all the cooking and she does the dishes, a sharing arrangement that works well for us.
Don    :D
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Dragonfly

Sounds like a great plan drinksgin!!!

I've heard of using beer for the liquid in biscuits but I've never tried.

Sounds like you cook like I do...a dab of this and a dash of that...:D

Tags: