Big Cat Down! (pics)

Started by rockinbbar, November 28, 2008, 08:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

BH51, when I was a kid trapping down in the mountains a prime large coon brought maybe four dollars. An extra large mink brought 25 to 30 dollars. Cats brought about the same as large mink. In the early fifties prices dropped to the point trapping was a waste of time. Grey fox brought around 25 cents and reds dropped to about fifty cents. From that point I quit trapping.   ......Paul H

Daryl (deceased)

Paul,

In the 70's furs were worth trapping to at least some degree.  Into the 80's as well.

When bobcats were bringing $300+, I have an uncle who'd quit his job as a diesel mechanic for a rock/concrete company, trap through the winter, and then go back to work for the same company in the spring.  These days he's head mechanic for a neaby school district.

He made more money trapping than he did on his regular job by focusing on bobcats.  He'd get human scent all over his traps to avoid catching coyotes, since they were more trouble than profit.  Cats are pretty easy to catch, too, if you know what you're doing.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

YoteBuster

Best get that hide out of the freezer, and onto a stretcher. You'll not make much on a rolled up, freezer burned hide, versus a dried,stretched hide, you do know how to take care of them don't you?

rockinbbar

I do....he's ok for now. Hope to have him sold pretty soon.

Thanks!
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Tags: