Odd Neck Split

Started by recoil junky, August 20, 2017, 11:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

I've never seen one like this. Found it after sizing a batch of 35 Whelens before they hit the trimmer.

I'm sure there are many like this, I just thought it "odd". Mostly I get longitudinal splits at the shoulder/neck juncture or in the neck itself and only one ever case head separation.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

I'm not a metallurgist, and I don't even play one on the internet, but... that looks to me like plain ol'
 metal fatigue, with emphasis on "old". Finally just wore out. But, like I said, I ain't no metallurgist.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Paul, you should also remember the day the earth stood still when I had the "incipient case head (partial) separation"? No? Me either, but I still have the case. :laugh:

Yeah, it's "old" 25 years at least :rolleyes: I have 30-06AI brass that's older than I am if that means anything in the grand scheme of things.

I'm getting ready for HB and the girls to come deer hunting and I want to have a few spare rifles ready in case tHEy forget ammo or something :greentongue:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

recoil junky

I didn't look at the headstamp either, it may be some of the "odd" .270 Win brass I converted into 35 Whelen.

RJ

gitano

Again emphasizing my lack of first-hand knowledge on metallurgy, I HAVE READ AND HEARD from reputable sources, that brass hardens 'naturally' over time. The point mostly being that if one were to buy old "new stock" brass, one might be well-served to anneal the cases before FIRST loading. I would assume that some cases (thin-necked ones like 44-40 and .22 Hornet), would be more susceptible to this phenomenon than cases like '06s, 7mm Rem Mags, etc.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

I've heard/read the same thing. I know it happens with cast bullets too.

I was toying with annealing them and should have because it won't hurt one way or the other.

RJ

recoil junky

I think (dangerously) that this (old brass) might also contribute to the whole "bullet welding to the neck" phenomenon that "people"  talk about.

RJ

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;148811Again emphasizing my lack of first-hand knowledge on metallurgy, I HAVE READ AND HEARD from reputable sources, that brass hardens 'naturally' over time. The point mostly being that if one were to buy old "new stock" brass, one might be well-served to anneal the cases before FIRST loading. I would assume that some cases (thin-necked ones like 44-40 and .22 Hornet), would be more susceptible to this phenomenon than cases like '06s, 7mm Rem Mags, etc.

Paul

Deffo age hardens, had 15+year old 'new' brass and in the first 50 loaded lost a half dozen to split necks, annealed the rest and no problems!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

recoil junky, any chance we might get you to use the 'Hotlink for forums' rather than the thumbnails from postimg please?
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

recoil junky

recoil junky

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Just saves every one 'clicking through' no need to take umbrage, I did ask nicely.
Turvey Stalking

Tags: