It was a character builder.........

Started by JaDub, November 14, 2011, 10:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDub

Like I need MORE ..........

Came about as close to being blown off the mountain as I ever have. First nite we endured gale force winds all the while absolutely knowning that we would be launched off the mountain during the nite and over the abyss at any moment. Single digit temps and howling winds made for absolutely ZERO sleep for 4 days. Hill side had a number of deer hunters which blew out all elk. We saw absolutely no elk , only  a few deer. Venison would have been nice but as usual no tag. First time I`ve been out during a dual season....never again.

Our hunting area as seen from the other side of the mountain......... telephoto some 2 miles away.

Our home sweet home for the next few days, at 10,000`

Breathtaking scenerey.........

Sunrse................ which meant we survived another nite!

The weather looked pretty ominous ............

recoil junky

So, put in for a deer tag next year, forget the elk tag and you'll see nothing but elk.

That is some beautiful scenery Jadub. Too bad there weren't any elk.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

JaDub

We did see  one of those endangered and highly elusive krackalopes however.

recoil junky

Definitely a big one!!! Lucky it didn't charge you!!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

JaDub

........ amazing what a little port will do to an oxygen deprived system. 8-)

By the way,  my buddy Karl ( seen here ) has been trying to `engage ` with us here at THL for some time however RavenBeauty`s M.O. isn`t letting that happen.

Cheers, JaDub

gitano

That's the kind of hunting I like. Unfortunately, I'm fast passing the days I can do it.

Sorry to hear you didn't connect, but great country to 'waste' a few days in.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

beautiful pictures!!!! Hunting is Maine is certainly different! I would really like to be able to spot an stalk sometime, especially in country like that. Elk are certainly on my "bucket list". God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Hunterbug

Looks like you guys had fun anyway! Thoes are great pictures. The worst day hunting beats the best day working.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

crackalope

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Woo Hoo  !!  Crackalope made it into the `club` !!   Welcome buddy!  It`s about time .....it only took a year or so, eh  ??  8-))
  Well, Karl and I both drew elk and deer this year.  Hopefully with a bit of scouting we`ll figuire out South Park and it`s secrets.  It`s on private land and supposed to be `active`.  After last year`s high mountain peril we decided to pursue a more forgiving terrain. It even comes with an old trapper`s cabin complete with a  stone fireplace.
  I`ll keep ya posted.

Cheers,  JaDub

gitano

Looking forward to hearing about this year's adventures!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

crackalope

Tags: