222 Rem Reloads

Started by Jorge in Oz, May 21, 2022, 10:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorge in Oz

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I have posted. I think I left Queensland and went back to Victoria and I am back in Queensland all that time I have been away, perhaps with some intermittent posts.

I have moved closer to an area near where I use to hunt red deer with my friend Paul Rattray, who Paul (Gitano) is acquainted with.

I have more time on my hands to mess around with my firearms as I have left a high stress job with a Caterpillar dealer which paid very well but was not helping my work/life balance or my hunting time. Now doing 32.5 hours a week with a trucking company that owns quarries wholesales fuel and owns a petrol station. I am really enjoying the role there.

Anyway I was going through my safe and pulled out my Winchester 70 in 222 Rem and I want to start reloading for it. I have read that the 222 barrels on the models had a 1-14 twist. I wanted to load for 35 grain Hornady V-Max but I am unsure whether my rifle would like these. It shoots the 50 grain pills well but I wanted to go a bit smaller.

Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with 35 grainers on a 222. Your feedback would be most appreciated. Any loads suggestions would also be much appreciated.

I am glad this forum is still alive and kicking.

Best Regards
Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

I have no first-hand experience with the Remington .222. That said, there should be no problem with a lighter weight bullet. Lighter weight translates to shorter which in turn equates to "more" gyroscopic stabilization. I suppose one might try working up the velocity ladder to see if one velocity range was better than a faster one.

Now that I think about it, Branxhunter MIGHT have a .222. I'd check with him. Send him a PM from THL.

Dont be a stranger.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14235&highlight=Remington

This can get you started. For more from branxhunter on his various, .222s, use the search engine and look for all the threads STARTED by branxhunter.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Thanks Paul, I'll give him a try.

Got more time to hang around these days, now living in the country. Our town doesn't even have shops, it's so small.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

branxhunter

Did I hear my name? :D

Good to hear from your Jorge. Seems like it was many years ago we caught up in Melbourne.

While the 35gn v-max is at the lighter end it is also a dumpy little thing designed to work in 1:16 twist hornet barrels (and it works well). If you want to go sub-40gn I would look at the more streamlined options like the 35gn Berger, 36gn varmint grenade or similar.

Personally I think that for general small game work (rabbits, cats, hares, foxes) the 40gn poly tip projectiles can't be beat. I have always had good results with 40gn v-max/z-max loads in the .222. The Nolser 40gn varmageddon also shoots accurately but field results suggest a little more erratic in on-game performance.

My load for the Annie .222 is a mild one but is very accurate, and has proved to also be so in other rifles. Rem case, CCI SR primer, 19.5gn AR2207, 40gn v-max.

My Sako has two loads, both in Rem cases, Rem 7 1/2 SR primer, 40gn v-max. One uses 21.7gn AR2207, the other 22.0gn BM1.

If you are looking to ensure good velocities AR2207, BM1 and BM8208 are the pick for the lighter projectiles, grading through to BM8208, BM2 and AR2206h at the heavier 52-55gn end.

Marcus

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Thanks for the feedback Marcus. Yes it has been a while. I have moved twice since we caught up. Lived on the Gold Coast for 3 years and are now 30 minutes south of Maryborough Qld, 40 minutes from where I use to hunt reds.

I will be visiting my local gun shop to get some AR2207 which is in stock as I have only ever used AR2209 and AR2206(H). They also have plenty of Vmax projectiles there. Been a but scarce some of the reloading components, especially when you live in the sticks. It backs on to state forest so there are plenty of pigs and roos also roaming around.

I have a few hares on my block which I would like to harvest. Have also spotted some fox scat around but haven't seen any yet as I only visit the property on the weekends.

Really appreciate your feedback.

Cheers

Jorge

branxhunter

No worries Jorge.

If you don't have one already grab yourself a fox whistle (button, Tenterfield or Silva Fox) that sounds like a rabbit, and also consider one of the bellows-type predator calls, as they sound like a hare.

Watch some of the Silva Fox clips on YouTube - this one is a cracker!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QN1vtxS72CE

Marcus

Jorge in Oz

Yeah Marcus I do have one. Will have a look at the vid. Cheers

Tags: