OK call the shot on this

Started by Alboy, May 22, 2007, 04:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alboy

And don't I wish it was me but it wasn't, that took the pictures I mean.

Looks to be at about 150 yards or so, that will do for speculation on the shot. Pick your poison for weapons.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Hunterbug

I'd be using my 338 but I ain't shooting wither one of them yet. The last thing that I want to do is to try to get an elk out of a moving river that's about 12" deep. I'd wait for them to break apart and move on shore and then take the first shot that I got at the one on the right.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

A couple chirps from my Hoochie Momma cow call might be enough to separate the bulls and get their attention. On the other hand it might get them to break up and one chase the other out of range. They obviosly don't now/ care that I'm there. I might just do like HB and wait for a few minutes and see what transpires.

Looks like pretty open country so I'd probably be packin' the 300RUM loaded with 180 grain Accubonds. I'd aim for the spot that would break one or both shoulders, anchoring the bull on the spot. I'd have the mule tied to a tree over the hill and she could drag Mr. Elk out of the creek.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: I'm with the rest wait'n....Like HB I'm not one to be one to get in cold water....... yep wait.... shadow them if I can......... I've seen the like that around here do that for hours.......If it's around 150 yds..... I'm good with the old savage 99.. in .300 sav.... 200 gr.... Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

nrthrn_maine_hunter

30-378 to the shoulder of the one on the right, hook the winch from the Yamaha Kodiak to him and pull him out.  nothing to it!
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

Alboy

Well, being the pesimist I am I figure the fella taking the pictures
A. Did not have a weapon
B. Did not have a license
C. Had the license but it was cow tag.

Here are the rest of the pictures. Really would lkie to watch this up close one day myself. Maybe that was
D. Too awestruck to do anything else.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Hunterbug

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Vermonster

Quote from: Hunterbug;62469I'd be using my 338 but I ain't shooting wither one of them yet. The last thing that I want to do is to try to get an elk out of a moving river that's about 12" deep.

Unless your truck is parked a mile downstream..... :biggthumpup:

Kiwi Nate

scenario 1# I would aim in line with the foreleg and just below centre, I'd be using my 9.3-300RUM firing a 286 grain Orxy at 3000fps. After it was all over I would then realise that I just dropped the magnificent beast in the river which would lead to a lot of cussing.

Scenario 2# I would have such bad buck fever that it would take me 5 minutes to calm down giving the bulls time to move onto land at which time I would rush off a hurried shot before they moved off.  Later back at camp I would tell everyone how I played it cool and waited for the right shot.
Nate.
http://www.ballisticstudies.com

Brithunter

QuoteScenario 2# I would have such bad buck fever that it would take me 5 minutes to calm down giving the bulls time to move onto land at which time I would rush off a hurried shot before they moved off. Later back at camp I would tell everyone how I played it cool and waited for the right shot.

:biggthumpup: :lol Now I like that.
Go Get them Floyd!

super 30

Considering that they are locked up, looks like September to me, which means we are bowhunting. Since I do not bowhunt, I would be guiding hunters. After I told my hunter to calm the !#@& down and resume breathing again, I'd have to say we watch for a bit, since a guy does not get to see this very often, especially an out of state hunter who may be living that once in a lifetime dream hunt. This is a hard call to make. Near a stream, getting into range may be a bit touchy (we are bowhunting). On the other hand, when the fight is over, who to go after? The winner is interested only in getting his cows out of there, and may be a bit absent minded. The loser is ALSO interested in the cows, and may be absent minded as well. I would say we need to watch the fight and then figure out a plan when it is over. Try to put a creep on those guys during the scrap and the cows (that are surely watching) will bust a guy for sure.

Tags: